Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"My Computer" window open on destop after startup

• Please log in to reply

sgorty

sgorty

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When booting up and after all programs are loaded in tray I'm left w/ a perfect desktop with the "My Computer" window open!

Does anyone know the fix for this or where the setting is that causes this to happen?

Many thanks in advance!

Sam

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Hi Sam.

Look in your startup list. Start>run>''msconfig''>startup tab. Look in there for a possible cause of the problem.

Emery.

sgorty

sgorty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Emery,

I appreciate the advice but I am a novice and need more specific directions as to how to navigate and recognize what I am looking for.

Sam

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Sam,

Click Start. Go to ''Run''. type msconfig. <enter>. Now a new window called ''system configuration utility'' should open. In this window, navigate to the ''startup'' tab.

Now you should see a list of programs. These programs are programs that start up when you turn on your machine. Look around in the list for something like ''my computer'' and delete it from the startup list.

Did this problem just start or has your machine acting like this for a while?

Have you scanned your computer for malware/viruses?

Edited by emery, 08 December 2006 - 12:06 PM.

sgorty

sgorty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Emery,

Thanks for your help. Now that I've executed msconfig, I remember being here at some previous time.

Looking around on the startup items I see nothing that gives a hint for "My Computer" window being executed. I'll experiment further on the startup list.

Answering your questions:

Problem was first noticed yesterday.

I have used AD-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, SuperAntiSpyware and have removed the very few problems I found. I have not noticed any adverse conditions on my computer except this window appearing after a normal startup!

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Sam,

Please download Tune Up Utilities. Install and open the program. Go to ''clean up & repair''. Run the TuneUp registry cleaner. Let it scan your machine and fix the found problems.

Next, go to Optimize & Improve and run the TuneUp registry defrag. Follow all the instructions and restart the computer when the registry defragmenter is done.

See if that fixes your problem.

Emery.

also check out the rest of Tune Up Utilities. It's a great program that really cleans and improves the performance of your machine.

Edited by emery, 08 December 2006 - 12:50 PM.

sgorty

sgorty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Emery,

Found one suspicious item in startup list:

Don't Click Here Either

I disabled this and the problem went away. How do I permanently get rid of this?

Thanks

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
I think spybot S&D can get rid of this for you. Download spybot search and destroy here: http://www.download....4-10122137.html

If this doesn't get rid of it for you, I would suggest going here: Do you suspect spyware or adware? Start here.

Post a new topic in the malware forum if you can't get rid of it by following the steps in that link.

Good luck.

sgorty

sgorty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Have previously used SpyBot S&D and TuneUp. Did not fix. Will go to new forum and post HiJack This Log etc. Thanks for the help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi sgorty...

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok". Registry Editor will open.

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon

In the right pane, double click on Userinit

What is the value in the Value Data field?

wannabe1