Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot load Windows XP Home Edition

• Please log in to reply

jmab2006

jmab2006

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hi there. last night i was attempting to watch a dvd when my dell laptop froze up on me. i turned off the computer & when it restarted i encountered this error message:

Windows Could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using original CD-ROM. Select "r" at the first
screen to start repair.

since i hadn't had a chance to save or backup anything on my laptop (i know, i know, i'm sick to my stomach over that) i didn't want to try anything that might erase any info on my hard drive. i did attempt to restart in Safe Mode and i received the same error message as above. so i then ran a full system diagnostics and received the following error codes:

Error Code OFOO:1A44
Msg: Block 47098200: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Error Code OFOO:1A44
Msg: Block 47098201: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

-and-

Error Code OFOO:0244
Msg: Block 47098200: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Error Code OFOO:0244
Msg: Block 47098201: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

and then when i looked at the results section it also had the following bit of information regarding the results:

IDE Disk S/N = WD-WXE605287140

if anyone has any idea how to correct this problem without losing all my saved files i would be so grateful!! my warranty with my Dell expired 2 months ago, which is why i haven't called them yet. i really don't want to lose everything on my hard drive, so if the best thing is to take it in to Best Buy or someplace like that & let them try to salvage my saved info, i'll do it, but i'm a college student so i'd like to explore the most economical solution before i go down that road. :whistling: HELP!!!

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Hi there, welcome to geekstogo.

You could try this:

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
1. Start your computer.
2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

Emery.

jmab2006

jmab2006

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks for the reply. i tried that. same error message:

Windows Could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using original CD-ROM. Select "r" at the first screen to start repair.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Do you have your windows xp installation cd at hand?

jmab2006

jmab2006

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i do, but will using it to restart erase any info off my hard drive? i have a paper on there that is due on saturday that i cannot lose.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
If you follow THESE steps to repair your windows installation, you won't lose any of your important data :whistling: .

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks.

jmab2006

jmab2006

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
on that first blue screen, it gives you the option to set up windows xp now, or to repair a windows xp installation using recovery console. which of these options should i choose? my only concern is that if i choose the first option that it will erase any info. if i choose the second option, do i have a better chance at saving my files??

thanks so much for all your help, by the way! i cannot even begin to tell you how much i appreciate it!

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Choose ''repair a windows xp installation using recovery console''. So press the ''R'' button. This will repair your installation of windows and won't delete any files except for the windows updates, but these can be downloaded from the microsoft website again.

Good luck. :whistling:

edit: read the instructions carefully. mistakes are easily made when you don't read things over twice.

Edited by emery, 08 December 2006 - 12:43 PM.

jmab2006

jmab2006

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok, i have tried that, and it isn't working. i choose the repair option, and it takes me to a black screen that says the following:

Microsoft Windows XP™ Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality

Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, press ENTER>?

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
So it won't let you repair your windows installation?

And when you try to log onto the windows installation it won't work?

Advertisements

jmab2006

jmab2006

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
when i type in "1" to select that installation, right underneath the last line this appears:
C:\WINDOWS>

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
edit: I'll try a little harder. maybe i can help further.

Edited by emery, 08 December 2006 - 01:38 PM.

jmab2006

jmab2006

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i typed "exit" after the C:\WINDOWS> prompt, and it restarted my computer and back to the blue Setup screen. this time, i chose the first option and i get a different screen than in the How-To post. my screen says the following:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP an DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.
  • To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
  • The create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
  • To delete the selected partition, press D.

then it shows a box that has 3 partitioned spaces listed, along with one unpartitioned space. at the bottom, it gives me the options:
ENTER=Install D=Delete Partition F3=Quit

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
if you choose enter, you will reinstall your windows xp. this doesn't delete your files unless you choose to do so by deleting the existing partition.

also with these steps, read everything twice before deciding.

Emery.

jmab2006

jmab2006

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
which partition should i select?

the partitions it lists are:

-: Partition 1 [FAT] 63 MB (55 MB free)
C: Partition 2 [NTFS] 34522 MB (19501 MB free)
E: Partition 3 [FAT32] 3561 MB (401 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

Edited by jmab2006, 08 December 2006 - 01:47 PM.