Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Radeon ATI 9550 256MB

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Will a Radeon ATI 9550 256MB run the game F.E.A.R? The system min. for this is ATI RADEON 9600 Series.
Not sure if the 9550 is good enough to run this.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You might just manage it but even with a minimum spec card it wont run well, you really need the reccomended, i would download FEAR combat see if you can run that its free and MP so you might get away with it.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
The site states that I only need a radeon 9000 video card . But when I was at different site it said I needed a Radeon 9600 . Now I don't know what I need to run this game.

I don't have the game or the card yet. My wife is going to get these for me for christmas. So I just want to make sure she gets the right card.

Could someone fill me in on what size card I'll need for playing F.E.A.R?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are buying a new card i would shop around you should be able to get something alot better than a 9600 its ancient i certainly wouldnt pay money for one there are some newer alternatives.

The cards are also all the same size, they just use different processors and memory, i wouldnt get something that is more than a few months older than the game itself that cards years behind the game.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
All the newer cards are crazy in price... I really don't play alot of games I just wanted to play fear. It really looked like a good game. But I don't want my wife to have to spend 200 bucks for the game and card to play it. I guess I'll just wait until I have a Xbox 360 or ps3 fall in my lap. Thanks for the help. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would shop around i know Australia has a crazy computer market but you should be able to find something better than a 9600 for not that much more unless you are getting the 9600 for next to nothing(which would be about right like i said its ancient) also itll be AGP and wont work on your system anyway. You can get some really great deals on old cards like x700s and x800s, even the odd cheap x850, and all of those will play fear if you need something cheap, they arent new but are much better than a 9600.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Could you tell me if THIS will run if?

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I wouldnt recommend Radeon 9250. It's not meant for gaming. There's some better one like the Geforce 6800 or better.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay, Thanks I guess I'll just hang it up for now. I was really hoping to find a card for around 60-70 bucks that would run this game. I don't want the wife to spend all that money just for me to play a game.

Thanks again

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Will a Radeon ATI 9550 256MB run the game F.E.A.R? The system min. for this is ATI RADEON 9600 Series.
Not sure if the 9550 is good enough to run this.

You might just manage it but even with a minimum spec card it wont run well, you really need the reccomended, i would download FEAR combat see if you can run that its free and MP so you might get away with it.

Don't expect it to run fast on minimum either - I bought F.E.A.R retail and my Radeon 9800XT (top of the range of the 9x agp generation) scrapes medium settings. I really need to upgrade my graphics card - but I'm waiting for more DX10 cards to be released first!

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Okay, Thanks I guess I'll just hang it up for now. I was really hoping to find a card for around 60-70 bucks that would run this game. I don't want the wife to spend all that money just for me to play a game.
Thanks again

Duley if you live in Australia and Queensland you can visit Dick Smiths™ and get a graphic card for $120.

Websites here

And HPDV8315LOVER the 9250 isn't a bad graphics I play lots of games on it and nothing goes wrong and it look just fine.

Hope I've helped you, Merry Christmas. :whistling:

Edited by Jazza, 12 December 2006 - 01:33 AM.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Thanks again

Duley if you live in Australia and Queensland you can visit Dick Smiths™ and get a graphic card for $120.

Websites here

And HPDV8315LOVER the 9250 isn't a bad graphics I play lots of games on it and nothing goes wrong and it look just fine.

Hope I've helped you, Merry Christmas. :whistling:

Thanks for the info. Although I'm in the US so I guess thats out. I'm just going to wait for now. I have been doing a lot of looking. And I came to this. My system s**ks for even upgrading to play games. By the time I got done making it able to play I would have spent 400 buck (mobo that will take PCI-e and others, Video Card, and Fear). Which is around the price of an xbox 360 that I could play on the big screen :blink:

But thanks for all the good Info everyone. You have saved me a BIG pain in the (fill in the blank)

BTW Merry Ho, Ho everyone

Edited by duley3, 12 December 2006 - 07:10 AM.