Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

eMachine will not boot

• Please log in to reply

poppyal

poppyal

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi again. I am trying to get an eMachine to run, but not having any luck. As soon as it is plugged in, the power supply fan runs and the power button shows solid yellow. The power button has no effect at all. Any ideas as to what might be happening? Thanks much.

Advertisements

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Actually, it is the hard drive light that was glowing and I have taken care of that. But the rest is still the same.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
So it doesnt boot up?

Im interested on this topic.

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Is this a used pc? Have you just bought it or had it in possesion for quite sometime? You have to be more descriptive. I think maybe your psu (power supply unit) has gone awry. You might need a new one. They cost about $25 and up at your local pc store. Try some more explaining and let us know what's going on.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
As superstar says it may be the powersupply. However you could try stripping the motherboard down to basics if you feel confident to do that.

Remove all PCI slot devices such as graphic cards. Remove the RAM sticks. Are you getting a POST at all? Without RAM or with broken RAM you should get several beeps if the motherboard and CPU are OK. With the RAM intact you should be getting one beep. If you are not getting any sound at all then try plugging into another Power Supply. If you dont have one think about who might have one or might let you plug in from their computer's one.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thank You for your reply, and I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I have already tried a different power supply and got the same results. I have stripped the mobo with no results. The CPU fan does not power up, but when I remove the power cord from the power supply (the only way I can get the power supply fan to stop running) the CPU fan gives just a tiny movement. I get absolutely no sound or anything when I try to power up. As I stated, the power switch seems to have no effect at all - and yes, I have tried another power switch to no avail. This has really got me stumped, although I am far from being a wizzard at this. Any more ideas would really be appreciated. Thank, again.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I hope I'm not too late to follow thru with this topic. I originally posted this in the software section and Kat moved it to the hardware section where it should be. But, I got no emails that showed I received a response. I apologize.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello poppyal.... :whistling:

Some OEM machines are very proprietory with their hardware and eMachines is one of them...at least on some of the older machines.

That being said, make sure the front panel bus is connected correctly...sometimes having the polarity reversed on a connection there will cause similar issues. Just from your description, though, I rather suspect a bad PSU or Motherboard.

wannabe1

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi wannabe1. I have tried another power supply that I know is in working order, and I get the same results. Even with the front panel bus disconnected, the power supply fan runs as soon as it is plugged in. Weird, huh?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...weird indeed.

I'd be leaning strongly towards the bad mobo.

Have you the the motherboard out of the case? Try a "tabletop build"...everything out of the case. I have seen this happen when the mobo is shorting to the case, too.

Advertisements

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
No, I have not tried that yet, but I will now. I'll get back to you when I finish. I could not find any obvious probs thit the mobo, but we'll see what happens. This unit belongs to an elderly lady, a friend of mine. She was having problems with it so her teenage son got inside the case to fix it - this is the result of his repair. Leave it to me to come up with situations like this. I should be a genius when all of this is over. Get back to you soon.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I'm back. I get the same results with the mobo on the bench - BUT - I noticed a small item labeled VR2 that has a chip broken out of it. I am sure that this is a power/voltage regulator of some sort. It has five little metal tines that stick out of a black square case and that case has a chip out of it and shows where two of these fingers attach inside this case. The case itself is about 5/16" square. Am I making any sense? Could this be the problem? Thanks for the help again.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
When I got this system, the enclosure for the two hard drives was just laying loose in the case. With the weight of two drives in it, this might have flopped around inside the case and broken this piece?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...with that description of the situation, I'd bet on a bad mobo. Having things knocking around in there could have broken just about anything...or a least stressed the board enough to actually break a trace or two within the board.

Your friend would benefit greatly from a new machine. :whistling:

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I can install an ASUS P4S800D-X for about $65.00, plus a little labor, and that way I can use the existing CPU and cooling fan, ram, power supply, case, etc. I believe that will be my offer. If I had noticed that broken part I probably would not have had to post this in the first place. Next time I'll be a little more thorough before I make a post and take up your valuable time that could be used for someone else. Thanks for your assistance again.