Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive problem with XP

• Please log in to reply

mikell808

mikell808

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Never had this happen before, blue screen register error, in the past I have always been able to run chkdsk from the setup disk to do basic surface scan and repair when the drive won't boot. I ran a level 4 SPRINRITE with no error detected. Yet I receive the same blue screen error trying to get to a C prompt from the set up disk. Beggining to think there is some king of virus, i don't want to connect it as a slave in another comput for fear of the possible virus. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
What is the exact error that you are receiving?

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
It was a blue screen that just said registry error. Anyway I did solve it and here is how in case anyone else needs to repair a drive that won't allow you to boot up with the XP setup up disk. I loaded windows onto a new drive, once that drive was up and ready I installed the damaged drive as a slave. Then following information from the microsoft knowledge base on howto to manually do a registry restore I accessed the "c:\system volume information" folder, which took some changing of the security settings in safe mode, then copied and pasted the most recent backup into a temp folder where I needed to rename the files to match their counter parts. Then deleted their counter parts from the system32/config folder and coupied and pasted the backup into that location. Worked like a charm. Thanks anyway tho.

Edited by mikell808, 09 December 2006 - 07:29 AM.