Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer reboots when supposed to turn off

• Please log in to reply

icerider

icerider

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I restored an old image about a week ago due to the fact that it was slow and other minor issues. However, whenever I turn the computer off, it automatically restarts about a minute after. I don't believe it's a virus as I have scanned my computer with F-Secure and Panda's ActiveScan. I use Windows XP SP2.

Here's a link to the thread: http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=138429

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are you getting blue screens or just the reboot?

icerider

icerider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
just the reboot

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Was the image you restored created prior to the cleaning or after?.

icerider

icerider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
prior, it's when I first installed windows.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I think it'd be wise to get it thoroughly checked again, since the symptom is so similar.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What's the status of this problem? Did you post back to the Malware forum?

icerider

icerider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
theres nothing, i scanned it again with panda activescan, f-secure, and adaware. also scanned with kaspersky's online scanner. none of they could find anything.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Look at this article I found that explains some possible causes for the automatic restart:
http://www.microsoft...el_02may13.mspx.

So, did you post again to the Malware forum?

icerider

icerider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I tried the unchecking automatic restart and updated the BIOS, but nothing happened. I looked at the event logger again, and found there a userenv warning whenever the I "turn the computer off". Don't know if thats relevant or not. I've posted in the malware forum about scanning the computer again and the stuff in this post. Sorry for the long time to reply, I thought I posted a few days ago, but the post didn't make it through I guess.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What's the exact error in your log? If you open the error, there's a button to copy the error text. Please post that and I'll look at it for you.

icerider

icerider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1517
Date: 15/12/2006
Time: 11:53:47 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: SIMON-5822DD66E
Description:
Windows saved user SIMON-5822DD66E\Simon registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you might try adding another user account and after backing up all your data delete the "old " account...your problem seems to stem from another user account "doing" something...

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
The error indicates a service or program is conflcting at shutdown. Take a look at the services on your computer and let us know if any are being run as your user account. Click Start, Run, type in services.msc, click OK. You'll see five colums in the Services console. The last one one the right is "Log on As". Click the column header to sort the column and scroll down to view all the user names the different services use. Do
any use your specific user account name? If so, please list.

It may be as simple as changing the account for those services.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
error 1517

your registry not shutting down try upclean

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

it should force your registry to close so your computer can shut down properly

its not a malware problem but a user account

registry doesnt completely close

Edited by rushin1nd, 16 December 2006 - 03:17 PM.