Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Utility Floppy Disc To Save & Restore Bios Settings

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I found this on the HP SITE for my computer:

Bios Save & Restore Utility For Floppy Disc

I have a friend whos bios just became corrupted/infected and lost his lap top because of it. My pc is running absolutely fine, though I would like to take precautionary methods just in case I ever have to flash my bios one day.

I have the only available version of my bios which is the same current version I use, stored on a floppy disc. In the event that I ever have to flash my bios I have the floppy to flash it. But that url link above is a utility for my exact pc as well. Supposedly it can save my bios settings and restore them on another pc which is the exact same model as mine. I believe they made this for buisness purposes.

As a precautionary method I'm starting to wonder if I can use this utility to save my bios settings the way they are now, in case I ever want to restore them. (ie: a kid messes around pressing buttons, I accidentally change something, I have to flash my bios, etc)

If this is a good idea I will do this now and always keep this disc on hand. I'm asking for professional advice because I do not want to tinker with my bios...

Do you all think this is a good idea? That way I can have the floppy disc in my possession with my best bios settings on it. Problem is the url link I've provided metions that it is for use when you want to copy bios settings from one exact model pc to another. It says nothing about restoring your own bios settings. (ie: copying your own bios settings and using them for a later bios setting restore on your own pc)

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
It should do what you want it to. Your laptop isn't going to "know" whether it is "another" computer that this is being installed on. So the only difference between two identical model laptops at that base component level should be the serial number on the bottom.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
It's not for a lap top... It's for my "HP Vectra VL400" model pc. It's a normal standing pc...

Thanks for your reply. Can someone back up this claim because I really don't want to ruin my bios. I have no idea if it will try to put files or write on my bios...