Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Help with Virus

• Please log in to reply

hbarklee

hbarklee

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I read what I needed to do in order to post this topic, however, my computer won't reboot and I can't do anything on it, so I had to use a friends. There was nothing I could try to fix it, so I am writing for someone's help.

When I try to start my computer, a screen appears asking whether or not I would like to start the computer under safe mode or the computer will start manually in 20 seconds. I leave it alone and the Windows XP start up screen appears. Usually this screen lasts only about a minute or so. Now, it lasts about 10 minutes. Then the screen goes to the blue screen where you would normally log in under your user name. Now, however the computer reads:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file sustem is NTFS.
CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File record segment 7144 is unreadable.
File record segment 7145 is unreadable.

so on and so forth for about 30 mintues until it is 100% complete. Then the computer just sits there, doing nothing.

No where will the computer let me type in anything and I cannot get to the main screen at all. Needless to say, it is quite frustrating. :whistling: If anyone knows what I can do to fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Heather

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hard drive is on the way out. Needs replacing and a new copy of Windows putting on it. If you're lucky the stuff that's on there is still retrievable.

hbarklee

hbarklee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for responding to my post. I had a few questions for you if you don't mind :whistling: Do you know of anything that I can do personally to get anything off my computer or to help save my dying hard drive? Really I am just worried about losing certain things on my computer. Or am I SOL and have to send it in to get it completely wiped. Any advice you have would be awesome, thanks!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The problem with messages like "file record segment xxxx is unreadable" is that its telling you that part of a file is corrupt. It doesn't tell you which ones are unreadable, and in serious cases Windows is unable to read the disk at all. Depending on how far gone the damage to the disk has gone, it may be impossible to retrieve anything at all off of it.

hbarklee

hbarklee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there a way for me to tell how far gone my computer is and if I can retrieve anything? I might just have to send it back to Dell, but I was wondering if there is anything I could do personally. Thanks again for all your help :whistling:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
If the machine's under warranty then send it back. Dell will not retrieve any data from the drive, they'll just replace it and put XP back on it.

If you want to try recovering the data yourself, take it out of your computer and put it on another computer to see if it can read it.

hbarklee

hbarklee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hopefully this doesn't sound like a completely idiotic question, but if my computer does have a virus and I take out the harddrive and hook it up to another computer to see if I can retrieve anything, that other computer won't get infected will it? I don't know much about this virus thing. :whistling: