Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound on DVDs Disappeared

• Please log in to reply

Berocca

Berocca

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Went to watch a movie tonight on my PC as I usually do but sound is missing. It starts. I get the movie image but sound has gone. I then checked to see if I can still play my music files, and yes they play the sound but I can no longer get sound on any of DVDs that played without any problem before.

FIRST MY SYSTEM INFO

1. Dell Dimension 3100/E310 obtained last March
2. Windows XP Professional Version 2002
3. 250 Gb harddrive
4. Pentium ® 4
5. 504MB
6. Sonic Cine Player

POSSIBILITIES

The only unusual thing that occurred recently was a popup that asked me to upgdate the Cine Player. It has done this before and after following the instructions no problem. I followed the instructions as usual, but this time after the download it said something like that the update was not applicable to my Cine Player version. A week later I tried to use the player and it was then that I discovered that there was no sound.

So I thought well maybe I should try deleting the Cine Program and reinstalling it from the CD disc supplied by Dell when I purchased the PC earlier this year. Did that but it still will not play sound. Just the pictures. Tried playing it with Windows Media but the same problem. Pictures but no sound.

WHY?

So is there a simple way to check what is wrong and fix it or could the DVD player be suspect and need replacement? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I don't think the dvd player is the problem. More likely something went wrong with you last update on the sonic cine player. You could try un-doing that change by using a system restore to a point prior to the change. Or you could remove and reinstall. Alternatively, you could use another player. The Klite codec pack which uses media player classic is excellent. You can get it at www.afterdawn.com
http://www.afterdawn...c_pack_full.cfm

Berocca

Berocca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
OK Thanks.

Will try and let you know the result.

Berocca

Berocca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Tried everything suggested but discovered on checking the Dell site that there was a problem that suddenly appeared with the Sonic Player. Couldn't fix it with the download Dell provided, and was about to contact Dell for technical support but downloaded a program called "Error Killer" (the trial version at least.) It removed errors that it identified, and the DVDs are now playing again.

Thanks for the help.