Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply

bizarro47

bizarro47

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi- I have used this forum once before and it helped me out. I run xp Home. My computer will keep freezing at random times and gets hung up for no apparant reason. I was running Norton Internet Security and yesterday I removed it using the Norton Removal Tool as someone told me that this program can cause problems. I intend to purchase a stand alone anti virus program from Norton or MacAfee. Meanwhile I am still freezing up. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It could be a variety of things causing this. The first place i look is in windows task manager and see if you are getting any spikes in usage, total memory used, and cpu usage. Anything very high all the time is suspect. Look in processes for the high usage. Usually with 2 programs open my memory use is around 335MB.

You can also look in your event viewer to see if there is any problem there. Look for a red mark around the time you get the lockups.

Download memtest '86 and run it as the memory may be causing the problem. You can get the floppy version if you have the floppy drive, otherwise make a cdrom version and run it.

I have run zone alarm free firewall for years without problems. I no longer like Nortons, or McAfee for Anti-virus software. Nortons was doing a good job of locking up my computer at times. I have run AVG and lately been running Avast. They are much less system intensive and seem to do just as good a job.

Funny thing is i have no AV on this computer to see if anything could affect it and i have not run across any bad software yet. Maybe its my surfing habits, i really don't know. Sure can't learn much about trojan's and such this way tho!

SRX660

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Try the free Advanced Windows Care. It cleans up a lot of computer problems. Good luck. http://iobit.com/Adv...onal/index.html