Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Build

• Please log in to reply

VMFA-Blaze

VMFA-Blaze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm trying to understand if I need thermal paste for this CPU???

It really doesn't mention anything about this anywhere...

I really appears that its not needed, there's a load plate that has a clamp which I expect is used in place of paste...... Also the fan mounting bracket seems like it will also hold the CPU in place...

Advertisements

SLI-Owns You

SLI-Owns You

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
the thermal paste is not there to hold anything in its is a substance that increases thermal conductivity between the surfaces of two or more objects. In electronics, it is often used to aid a component's thermal dissipation via a heat sink. you put it on the heat sink for your processor its needed.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just to echo SLI-"Owns" You,
I have yet to see a CPU that doesn't require thermal paste.
James

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you dont use thermal paste on the CPU will likely break the CPU.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Some heatsinks will come with a thermal pad (looks like a smooth grey square on the bottom, on top of the metal, which is hopefully copper) which takes the place of thermal paste.

VMFA-Blaze

VMFA-Blaze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Some heatsinks will come with a thermal pad (looks like a smooth grey square on the bottom, on top of the metal, which is hopefully copper) which takes the place of thermal paste.

Yes Kurenai, I think that in this case there is a thermal pad that's used in place of paste...
I haven't opened the plastic shipping tray yet .. I'm still waiting for the delivery of my new motherboard...

I was just hopeing that someone has allready gone through this operation with this particular CPU intel Core 2 Duo E 6600 conroe, and could confirm that there is a pad, I have read the instructions (which is very limited in detail) and there isn't any mention of paste...

I've been combing the internet for this answer and this has actually been the closest answer so far...

Thanks Guys for takeing the time out to answer my question... :whistling:

Blaze

Edited by VMFA-Blaze, 10 December 2006 - 08:49 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Unless there is a tube of paste there will be a pad you ALWAYS will get thermal material of some sort with a new retail CPU or HSF, although alot will use different better material like arctic silver 5. If it has a pad(soft grey stuff) itll have plastic sticker to keep it from drying out remember to remove that because that will have the opposite effect and make a real mess of your CPU.