Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Lagging

• Please log in to reply

SillyxWabbitx

SillyxWabbitx

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
My internet is supposed to be 3mb/s. But my internet has been running slow and i noticed it because on my online computer game i'll always freeze because i "lag out." My latency goes up to almost 1000. So i went to one of those online bandwidth tester, and i can never get a constant number. Sometimes i'll get 100kb/s, somtimes i'll get 500 sometimes i'll get 1000, and sometimes i'll get 3000. We have multiple computers on the network and mine isn't the only one that gets the random slow internet. However it wasn't always like this it only started a few weeks ago. Could someone please help me? Thanks.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello SillyxWabbitx and welcome to G2G, :whistling:

I need some additional questions answered before we can proceed:

1. How many Computers are on this network?
2. What Operating System do you have on all PC connected to the network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?
3. What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wired or Wireless Adapter currently Installed on all pc's?
4. What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?
5. What is the Model and Manufacturer of the modem you are using?
6. What type of Service Provider do you have (Dial-up, DSL, Cable. ect...) ?
7. What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic) you may have to contact your ISP to find out?
8. Are the PC's owned by you and do you have Administrator priveleges for them?
9. What steps have you already taken to try and correct your problem?
10. Please answer these questions as thoroughly as possible, so I can assist you in attempting to correctly diagnose your problem.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 09 December 2006 - 11:59 AM.

SillyxWabbitx

SillyxWabbitx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
1. How many Computers are on this network?

There are two home PCís that are always connected, one PC thatís usually off, One PC where the router is hooked up to that no one uses, and occasionally a laptop thatís connected to the network

2. What Operating System do you have on all PC connected to the network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?

I donít know about updates and patches, but I know the three PCís have XP, the one the routers connected to has Windows 98, and I believe the laptop has Windows XP also.

3. What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wired or Wireless Adapter currently Installed on all pc's?

I donít know how to figure this out.

4. What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?

Ok I think I have these things right but youíll know if I mixed up the wireless adapter with the Router. I think the manufacturer is ďlinksys.Ē The manufacture number is WRT54G. Thereís also a little symbol that says ďCisco SystemsĒ but I donít know if that means anything.

5. What is the Model and Manufacturer of the modem you are using?

Iím not sure of the manufacturer but the model is ď60194E-A02Ē

6. What type of Service Provider do you have (Dial-up, DSL, Cable. ect...) ?

Cable I believe. Provided by Charter.

7. What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic) you may have to contact your ISP to find out?

I donít konw

8. Are the PC's owned by you and do you have Administrator priveleges for them?

I have administrator powers on this computer, the one thatís off, another one thatís on the network, and maybe the one the internetís connected to if I can get that one to do anything >.<

9. What steps have you already taken to try and correct your problem?

Well originally we had 356kb/s internet and we upgraded to 3Mb/s. I was hoping that would stop with the lag problems, but it didnít. Also, whenever I unplug the router and the modem and plug them back in the internet goes back to normal temporarily. I don't know if unplugging them does this or it's just a coincidence.

10. Please answer these questions as thoroughly as possible, so I can assist you in attempting to correctly diagnose your problem.

I tried to be as thorough as possible, I hope it's enough! thanks for the help!

SillyxWabbitx

SillyxWabbitx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
here's an update

Ok so i figured out that my wireless connection didnt have security on it.

So i went to the router, and set it to "WEB" (a friend of mine told me to) and there it gave me a bunch of keys. So it disconnected me from the web and i had to reconnect and put in one of those keys. After that my internet ran perfectly. However, when i went upstairs to connect another computer to the internet it didn't work. It said "Limited or No Connection" because of a "Invalid IP" or something. If I could just get the other computers online with the security settings on I should be fine.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

You could also try this if you want to tweak and optimize your internet settings,

TCPOptimizer from SpeedGuide.net is a free utility that will do the job for you

automatically. here - http://www.speedguid...t/downloads.php

alternatively - if you are still having issues and suspect that it is malware related I would start with our

malware forum and see if they can make sure you don't have any malware installed.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

cheers...xxx1

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hmm Invalid IP address?

Make sure your Channel is on 1,6,or 11. I prefer 6.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Dont use tcp optimizer.. it stinks.

For the other pc's that now cannot connect you have to remove the original ssid broadcast from the tcp/ip preferred networks then readd the new broadcast. when you readd it it will ask for a key. use the key you got from the linksys router config page. If you need a walkthrough for this let me know.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi Wabbit,

Since this is repeatable on multiple PCs I would suspect the connection itself. If you take the router out of the mix do you still have the same speed issue?

If that is the case then you need to call your service provider. It's either the modem or the physical connection (i.e in the wires) and your provider will have to fix it.