Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP NEEDED

• Please log in to reply

BazzaDev

BazzaDev

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi, I have used this site before and have found it really helpful. I now need help for my sisters computer (shes not connected to the internet). Her son was using the computer and whatever happened it would only start in safe mode, and said something about a problem with ScanReg.

When I called and looked at it I restarted it and then a screen came up "CPUFAN not working properly" white the computer continually beeped. After about 10 secs it turned itselfs off. Apparently the computer had done this once before but was ok after the computer was turned off and on again.

I dont know very much about computers and my sister knows even less, so any help you can give would be brilliant.

:tazz:

Thanking you.

Advertisements

fab4

fab4

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
BazzaDev, you might wanna open your cover and see if the fans are turning.
And if yo have an old pc you could replase the fan. But make sure the connection for power to the mother is the same. otherwise you 'll have to cut the wires of the exiting fan and connect the wires withe the wires of fan for your old pc. (using the connetion socket from the current fan) Make sure the wires are long anouf. Make sure to isolate the connection of the wires.

But before you start cutting you might check if the old fan fits on the big metal piece (the cooling block). but mormaly thats no problem.

this worked perfectly with my CPUfan. :tazz:

Or you micht consider going to a repaire shop.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
definitely do not want to be running your computer with that error.

Your CPU fan has failed, and running without it will burn out your Processor.

Probably about half the time, you can open your computer and your fan is clogged in dust. Cleaning the dust will allow the fan to spin freely again, provided the motor has not burned up by being held in place.

If you use a can of compressed air to clean the fan, hold the blades so they are not free to spin. Compressed air will spin a fan faster than it's rated speed...which can burn the bearings.

fab4

fab4

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
oh yah gerryf, give it a good clean first.
But when it turns of in 10sec. I think the cleaning will not help.
Or the CPU was still hot from before.

gerryf, can you actualy burn out your CPU, is there safety precausion the pc turns it self off no anuf?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Modern CPUs will attempt to turn off the system, but not older ones.

As it is, I would bet money this is an IBM thinkpad, which checks the system CPU at boot up and does as described. The reason I suggest cleaning in this case is the system may be shutting down based on fan RPMs, rather than heat.

A partially spinning fan or non-spinning fan will result in the shutdown. A cleaning may address it. Or it may not. Too much gunk in the fan will have burned out the motor. Just never hurts to try the simple free stuff first.

BazzaDev

BazzaDev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
:tazz:

Thanks for all your help. It was the CPU fan overheating and it needed replaced, it could have been a lot worse.

Thanks again for your help. You folks are great. ;)