Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Speakers Aren't Working Effectively

• Please log in to reply

Diablofire12

Diablofire12

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
So I just moved my computer, and I replaced my video card. My speakers only play one channel of the sound, but both speakers work. I have an Altec Lansing BX1021 sound system, and they don't have a product manual online for it anymore. I'm worried I could have bumped something out of wack while moving, but I'm hoping that it's just a software compatability issue. Thanks

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
let's see:

before anything esle
- try headphones to rule out speakers

runbox command
- press buttons on keyboard: winkey + r
- paste: mmsys.cpl
- press: enter
- click: advanced
- see if your settings are for your configuration.

runbox command
- press buttons on keyboard: winkey + r
- paste: sndvol32.exe
- check to see if none have turned down or muted

runbox command
- press buttons on keyboard: winkey + r button
- paste: devmgmt.msc
- see if there are yellow blobs on sound devices, means missing drivers.

Diablofire12

Diablofire12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I don't have a headphone jack in my system, is there another way to test that? Also, everything is configured fine, nothing is muted, and there were no yellow blobs on sound devices.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
OK, I have been googling but probably like you without much joy, what leads does this speaker system have, also what do you mean by one chanel of sound( do you mean for example left hand speaker sound coming out of both left and right speakers)

Diablofire12

Diablofire12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes, googling is difficult. I don't know what a lead is, but the only one channel is coming through, as in I am getting only side of the speaker sound out of both speakers (I don't know which side, but it is the problem you described in the post.)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
my wording then sorry, a lead is the cords that go into the computer from the speaker system, depending on type, they can be a simple green one only(most speaker systems are one cord only), but better systems have other coloured ones too, for example a green one(left) and a red one(right), big soundaround systems have three leads being green red and another colour, not being able to find your specs on google I am asking directly here,

to be honest I don't think it is the computer here, I am hoping that it is a faulty connection somewhere

Edited by fleamailman, 13 December 2006 - 07:19 PM.

Diablofire12

Diablofire12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I only have one lead cord

Diablofire12

Diablofire12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I FIXED IT! WOOOOO! It turns out I didn't have the lead cord plugged all the way in. Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate it.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
happy for you then