Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thumbnail view is causing crashes

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hi!

So, thanks to Toshiba making the worst laptop computers on the market (I know this only as a result of purchasing one), I had to send in my (nearly brand new) computer for repair.

I held onto the HDD with all my info, and they sent me a repaired machine (eventually -- they took their own sweet time about it).

Now, with all my settings the same, every time I do a thumbnail view, the program in which I'm viewing thumbnails crashes.

If I'm uploading a picture file to a website via Firefox and try to view thumbnails, Firefox crashes.

If I'm in Windows Explorer checking out my pics/vids, Windows Explorer crashes.

Even my Gif viewer program crashes when I set the views to thumbnails.

I've searched the forums and have found SIMILAR problems but was uncertain if I should utilize those steps for repair. Might the suggestions in topic "Lost Thrumbnail previews, windows XP" given to ggg3 work for me?

Thx!

Phlegmbot

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to this site
what you have not explained is what was wrong with the computer in the first place to need it being mended, so we do not know if toshiba mended the problem or that the problem is new here, in either case I suggest not trying to save your data while trying to repair computers since it shows that you have not backed up the computer when at any time the harddrive can die on you.

My suggestions then:
- take it back saying that the problem is not resolved but that since you have now backed up everything, it is ok to return the computer to factory state.
- back up the computer and try restoring the computer with the restore disk or the methoid toshaba has for it.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
The problem was a hardware problem.

Again, I held onto the HDD, and plugged back into the repaired computer, so backing up my data is not relevant here.

Using the restore disk seems like quite a major step for such a minor problem...and, as far as I know, SHOULD ONLY BE RECOMMENDED as a LAST RESORT.

Thank you for trying, but might anyone else have some suggestions or answer my questions above?

One thing I realized I SHOULD mention is that I had attached this HDD to another computer by using an external HDD enclosure as I waited for the return of my laptop. So, for a while, my drive held a "Drive E" title rather than the "C" that it is normally. I did notice that certain small programs would work while it was an "E" but larger programs would not. When I got my computer back and popped the HDD in, I had to reinstall to very small programs (each under a meg).

Could any of this be related to the problem stated in my original post?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
since you are backed up, restore isn't a big deal and is quick
but there are other things one can do
- a system cleanup hoping that it is a glitch
http://fleamailman.f...topic.php?t=134
- system restore to a point prior to the problem
- repair with xpcd
- checking with security here
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

btw, just a question but when the system crashes, is there a bsod

oh, and point teken, I will pass over to someone else then

Edited by fleamailman, 12 December 2006 - 05:52 AM.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Thank you for the suggestions and for taking the time for me.

I'll try these and post results.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hey again.

I've run the secuurity and diagnostic tests. They didn't work.

I haven't yet tried the repair.

Here's what I think happened: when my computer broke-down, I KEPT the HDD and sent the rest in for repair.

I then hooked that HDD up to another computer using an HDD enclosure. So, for a little while, my HDD, which normally runs as a C drive was running as an E drive. Ever since I put the hdd back, I've had this problem.

More specifically: thumbnails almost always work in Windows Explorer. However they ALWAYS cause ANY program to crash if I go to open a file.

So in Firefox, if I'm attaching a file to my hotmail, firefox crashes. In Ulead video creator, if I open a video or even one of its own VSP files, once that window is visible w/thumbnails, it crashes. And on and on.

I'll try the repair, but please let me know if you've other ideas.

Thx!

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Before I post, I always search the boards, but I didn't find anything initially on this problem.

The other day I did. And I downloaded A program someone suggested called Xp_Thumbnail.exe.

That DID fix the thumbnail issue but now the problem I had with thumbnails, has sort of moved to saving:

EVERY time I try to SAVE a video file, in ANY application, the app stops responding and has to be closed.

For instance, I can transfer vid files from my camera to the computer, but if I open the file in my video editing app, then try to save it, and the app freezes with the hourglass while saving. And I have to close it w/the task manager as it's no longer "responding."

Anyone have any ideas...let me know. I'm going to search the boards again in the mean time.

Thanks!