Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

paint cannot read this file?(malware removal)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

handyjay

handyjay

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
ive been trying to delete some malware from my comp(windows xp) so ii took the option of displaying all of the system folders and protected system operating files to look through and identify the malware files....i found a folder called "video active x object" i opened it and recognised isamini.exe and other things that i know are hijacking my homepage and causing popups..i tried to delete them all...some i could some i couldnt so on one of them it gave me the option of how it would open so i changed it to open with paint,thinking that if it wont be able to open properly i wouldnt affect my comp...well now when i boot my comp i get 9 messages up,1 of them says c:\program files\windows media player\wmplayer.exe paint cannot read this file.this is not a valid bitmap file,or its format is not currently supported. all the other 8 messages are very similar i.e paint cannot read this file..after this occured i reinstated all the deleted files from the recycle bin and as far as im aware reset everything that i changed back to how it was,yet i am still having this problem.....there must be an easy solution to this...i know there is a way you can reset your comp to the same configuration that it was the day or even week before but i cant remember how its done......CAN ANYBODY HELP PLEASE.

Edited by handyjay, 10 December 2006 - 03:17 AM.

Advertisements

chicken_little

chicken_little

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Try system restore. It's START/PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS. Make sure no programs are running before you start, and follow instructions.

Let me know. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well it certainly seems you put your self on the spot here

if you have an xp cd then try to run a repair with it if it becomes unlikely that you can do this

your left with one other option

i cleaned a computer it had 4 user accounts all infected but it also had three system 32 folders one i recognized to be false between the other 2 you could play heads or tails with because its such a large folder i had snphots taken of different sections and emailed back to my selfo na clean computer i started to compare ...turns out one had a notepad that was running the computer with malware...without the aid of a new computer i couldve severly damaged the computer if i delete the wrong folder or files in it

consult with the experts here at geeks before you delete any type of folders or files there was the possibility i could of been vundo trojan ....that couldve been an easy fix here at the geeks malware forum

anyway good luck

Edited by rushin1nd, 22 December 2006 - 06:24 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*

well it certainly seems you put your self on the spot here

if you have an xp cd then try to run a repair with it if it becomes unlikely that you can do this

your left with one other option

i cleaned a computer it had 4 user accounts all infected but it also had three system 32 folders one i recognized to be false between the other 2 you could play heads or tails with because its such a large folder i had snphots taken of different sections and emailed back to my selfo na clean computer i started to compare ...turns out one had a notepad that was running the computer with malware...without the aid of a new computer i couldve severly damaged the computer if i delete the wrong folder or files in it

consult with the experts here at geeks before you delete any type of folders or files there was the possibility i could of been vundo trojan ....that couldve been an easy fix here at the geeks malware forum

anyway good luck

your better off to reformatt the damage is done your missing vital data

but a reformat will save your hardddrive

save any data if you can

Edited by rushin1nd, 22 December 2006 - 07:50 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
handyjay is being helped for this problem HERE. To avoid confusion, I'm closing this topic.