Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notify Dll Hijacker

• Please log in to reply

Dom63

Dom63

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Iam posting this problem cause i have been trying to get rid of this hijacker.I have tried spysweeper,ad-aware,spybot and adaware and not successful on removing this malware.Can anyone help me :tazz:

Advertisements

OldTimer

OldTimer

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 3,273 posts
Hi Dom63 and welcome to the GTG forums. We need a HijackThis (HJT) log file to be able to analyze what is happening on your computer. If you do not have a copy of HijackThis or do not have the latest version (1.99.1) then download it from here: HijackThis_sfx.exe. Double-click on the file you just downloaded and click on the UnZip button to install the program.

Start HijackThis and click the Do a system scan and save a log button to perform a scan and create a log file. When the scan is complete, Notepad will open up with the log file in it. While in Notepad, press Ctrl-A to select all text and then Ctrl-C to copy the text to the clipboard.

POST the log in this thread using the Add Reply button. Click in the data-entry window and press Ctrl-V to paste the log into the window. Add any other comments which you believe might be helpful in our analysis. and click the Add Reply button.

I will review your log as quickly as I can.

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS SOME OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO THE FUNCTION OF YOUR COMPUTER

OT

Dom63

Dom63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
:tazz: Hi Old Timer,
tried to resolve the notifydll hijacker with hijack this,did not work.I see a enrty called rimll.dll,win notify and something like drp.dll says you need to delete on reboot function which i do not know how,i'm attaching a log from hijack this tell me how to rid of this problem it's driving me nuts and unable to get on internet,if i do it's very slow and i have verizon dsl.Thanks for your help so far.

Dom63

Dom63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello Old timer,
It's Dom63 my last message i belive you may have not received my log, so i sent again.I did what you told me to download hijack this and send a log to you for evaluation.The notifyDll hijacker is still here and unable to get on internet and if i occassionaly do it's very slow and alot of popups.Hope you can resolve this for me very much appreciated so far.I see a couple of entries that i belive are causing the problem,but your program says they can only be deleted on a reboot function,do not know how to do that.Thank you for any more help you can do. :tazz:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:23:46 PM, on 4/5/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy LS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rirmll.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dslstart.verizon.net
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy LS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSDrvCheck.exe -CheckReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfee Guardian] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Guardian\CMGrdian.exe" /SU
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KavSvc] C:\WINDOWS\system32\rirmll.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SFP] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Verizon Online\SFP\vzSFPWin.EXE /s
O4 - Global Startup: Verizon Online Support Center.lnk = C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\SupportCenter\bin\matcli.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://pcpitstop.com...p/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcaf...84/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/...ro.cab27513.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcaf...,21/mcgdmgr.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: Internet Settings - C:\WINDOWS\system32\oadbse32.dll
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - c:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

OldTimer

OldTimer

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 3,273 posts
Hi again Dom63. Ok, let's try this the easy way first. Please follow the directions below.

Start HijackThis and follow these steps:* Click on Config button
* Click on the Misc Tools button
* Click on the Open Process Manager button
Find the following items and click on each one to select it and then click on the Kill Process button to stop the process.:C:\WINDOWS\system32\rirmll.exe
Now click on the Delete a file on reboot... button. Copy/paste the line below into the File name box:C:\WINDOWS\system32\rirmll.exe
and click on the Open button. Click on the No button when asked if you want to reboot.
Click on the Delete a file on reboot... button a 2nd time and copy/paste the line below into the File name box:C:\WINDOWS\system32\oadbse32.dll
and click on the Open button. Click on the No button when asked if you want to reboot.

Now click the Scan button to perform a scan. Look for the following items and click in the checkbox in front of each item to select it:O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KavSvc] C:\WINDOWS\system32\rirmll.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: Internet Settings - C:\WINDOWS\system32\oadbse32.dll

Now close ALL open windows except HijackThis and click the Fix Checked button to finish the repair.

OK. Reboot your computer normally, start HijackThis and perform a new scan. Post your new log file back here using the Add Reply button and I will review it when it comes in.

OT

Dom63

Dom63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi old timer,
i tried what you said to do,but i am still getting popups and having trouble getting on internet explorer.The log shows those files are gone.I posted it here.I see one file on 020 win logon notify sidebyside-C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\G4JO0E13EB.DLL not sure if i need to remove, also rirmll.exe was running in memory along with a file drdp.exe i killed this startup in msconfig,this was after i did your process.thanks again ,dom63
:tazz: Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:29:02 PM, on 4/6/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dslstart.verizon.net
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy LS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSDrvCheck.exe -CheckReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfee Guardian] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Guardian\CMGrdian.exe" /SU
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SFP] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Verizon Online\SFP\vzSFPWin.EXE /s
O4 - Global Startup: Verizon Online Support Center.lnk = C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\SupportCenter\bin\matcli.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://pcpitstop.com...p/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcaf...84/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/...ro.cab27513.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcaf...,21/mcgdmgr.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: SideBySide - C:\WINDOWS\system32\g4jo0e13eh.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - c:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

OldTimer

OldTimer

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 3,273 posts
Hi Dom63. Yup, this one is morphing. Let's do this:

Step #1

Download Pocket Killbox and unzip it to your desktop.

Step #2

Now follow these directions to delete the offending file:
  • Double-click on KillBox.exe.
  • Click "Replace on Reboot".
  • Click Use Dummy.
  • Paste this file into the top "Full Path of File to Delete" box.
    • C:\WINDOWS\system32\g4jo0e13eh.dll
  • Click the "Delete File" button which looks like a stop sign.
  • Click "Yes" at the Delete on Reboot prompt.
  • Click "Yes" at the Delete next Reboot prompt.
  • If you get a "PendingFileRenameOperations Registry Data has been Removed by External Process!" message then just restart manually.
Step #3

Start HijackThis and click the Scan button to perform a scan. Look for the following items and click in the checkbox in front of each item to select it:O20 - Winlogon Notify: SideBySide - C:\WINDOWS\system32\g4jo0e13eh.dll
Now close ALL open windows except HijackThis and click the Fix Checked button to finish the repair.

Step #4

OK. Reboot your computer normally, start HijackThis and perform a new scan. Post your new log file back here using the Add Reply button and I will review it when it comes in.

OT

Dom63

Dom63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Old Timer,
Things are still the same no changes,every time i remove it comes back c:\windows\system32\rirmll.exe and the other 02 Winlogon Notify:internet settings-C:\windows\system32\hrjo0513e.dll,but the dll on this line changes to a different dll evry time i use your way of getting rid of it should i keep doing the process until all dll are gone here? I'm feeling at a total loss here.I feel like trying to reformat my drive if that helps.Also another file shows up at times in the global startup called drdp.exe tried to do the same to this file,but still comes back.I am learning alot here thogh and thanks for the help. :tazz:

file of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:29:03 PM, on 4/7/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rirmll.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KavSvc] C:\WINDOWS\system32\rirmll.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: Dynamic Directory - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hrjo0513e.dll

OldTimer

OldTimer

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 3,273 posts
Hi Dom63. Ok, this one is being pernicious. Let's attack this with a few new tools. Please follow the steps below.

Step #1

Download and install the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta. Update the program and run a full system scan. Follow all recommendations for fixing everything that it finds and then reboot your machine.

Step #2

Download and install ewido security suite. Update the program and then run a full scan. Fix anything that it finds and then reboot your machine.

Step #3

Download CCleaner and install it. Start CCleaner and click the Analyze buton. When the analisys is complete click the Run Cleaner button. When it's done close the program.

Step #4

OT

Dom63

Dom63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
:tazz: Hi OT,
Thank you, my computer seems to be workiing O.K. now.I used all of the products you said to use, it seemed that ewidos worked the best at finding all those scattered trojans or Dlls on my hard drive that were replacing line 020 Winlogon notify C:\windows\system32.The only thing is i have Verizon DSL w/MSN and that browser seems too slow,but if i use my internet explorer it's o.k.,maybe it will take awhile or it's Verizons problem.Thanks again i owe you a donation.
I put the most recent Hijack this log and by the way should i keep this program and the others i downloaded.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:11:38 PM, on 4/11/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://dslstart.verizon.net/
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....467&clcid=0x409
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe

,let me know.

OldTimer

OldTimer

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 3,273 posts
Hey Dom63. Now that's a clean looking log. Congratulations! If you are having some issues with your MSN Explorer and want to use that then you might want to reinstall it and see if things work better. The infection that you had could have messed it up. As for the tools you have downloaded, I would suggest keeping them and using them. I run either an MS Antispyware scan or an ewido scan once a month just to keep my computer honest. Remember to keep them updated just like your anti-virus. I just click on the Update button before I run a scan. I also use the CCleaner app about once a week or anytime I remove a major piece of software to check the registry and make sure that everything was removed properly.

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.

First, let's reset your hidden/system files and folders. System files are hidden for a reason and we don't want to have them openly available and susceptible to accidental deletion.* Click Start.
* Open My Computer.
* Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
* Select the View tab.
* Under the Hidden files and folders heading UNSELECT Show hidden files and folders.
* CHECK the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
* Click Yes to confirm.
* Click OK.
Next, let's clean your restore points and set a new one:

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)1. Turn off System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
[/list]System Restore will now be active again.

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs: SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard and IESpy-Ad. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening.

You should also have a good firewall like ZoneAlarm or Kerio Personal Firewall (both are free) and a good anti-virus application like the one you are currently using. It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your system up to date and clean visit Windows Update monthly, run AdAware SE and Spybot Search & Destroy weekly, and be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klien: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Have a safe and happy computing day!

OT

Dom63

Dom63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi OT,
Thanks for the advice i will be more careful, i believe the infection came from a software download,because right after that it went crazy.I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to pc's,but this one had me stumped.I will try to reinstall Verizon DSL again,it's the MSN explorer i have trouble with not the internet explorer.I also have AOL and that works O.K..And some of these programs you told me to download,don't they ever expire without paying for them or no? :tazz:

OldTimer

OldTimer

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 3,273 posts
Hey Dom63. All of the programs listed in my "You're now clean" speech are absolute freeware. Some of the authors accept donations but none of them charge for their programs. Just a nice bunch of people doing a good deed. Also, most of them are updated periodically so if you use any of them be sure to update them regularly. I usually do an update for all of my applications every Saturday, but that's just me.

Now that your issues have been resolved I will close this thread. If you need it reopened related to these issues just drop me an email. If you have any different issues in the future then go ahead and start a new topic.

Cheers.

Keep on computing!

OT :tazz: