Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help! None of my games will play!

• Please log in to reply

Royal

Royal

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Specs in signature.

I used to own a Celeron 2.66Ghz and a P4s800 and 1GB of ram which worked great for my games, in other words, anything that doesn't say *New* has worked perfectly fine in the past.

I just got a new motherboard and a new CPU (specs below) I installed Vista 64bit (a complete reformat on the drive) to put it to the test. Besides all the driver issues, my games locked up/froze after 5 minutes of playing, sound stopped aswell.

So I got rid of Vista 64bit and install Windows XP x64 edition, same problem.

Soon enough, I also installed Windows XP Pro 32bit on a raw seperate 180gb hard drive that was completely erased, same problem. (By now you should know that reformating will do nothing)

WoW will lock up all the time, but 3dmarks wont as much. I found that weird.
I can play Half-life 2 a bit longer than I can play wow before it freezes ( difference is only a few minutes.)

--------------------------------------------------------What I have done so far
Drivers - It can't be the drivers, I have installed 3 different drivers for 3 different operating systems and they all have the same problem

HD - I have 1 OS on each hard drive, game freezes on both Hard drives

Soundcard - Removed it, things still freeze

RAM - Each ram by itself still freezes ( Took one out and tested)

CPU - I tried removing the heatsink and applying new thermal compound, didn't work.

PSU - I tried removing my sound card, and powering down one HDD. So my GPU,CPU,MOBO,ram and 1 HD were the only things being powered.

GPU - Freezes on orthos CPU/Ram stress blend. (Which doesn't require any graphics processing)

So it's might be my CPU, or maybe my motherboard....the two things I just bought, which makes sense. But which is it? Maybe it's the settings I have in my motherboard but what?
Will updating my bios actually do anything?
Can you update bios with a cd?

-------------------------
Conroe e6600 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo *New*
Dual VSTA-755 ASRock Motherboard *New*
1GB of Ram
VisionTek X800XT with ATI Silencer
Sound Blaster Live! 24Bit
40Gb HD + 180GB HD
Dual Layer DVD-RW Recorder ( Always off unless I need to burn)
Forton 450 Watt PSU

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
From a quick glance, the PSU or the motherboard look the most likely culprits, the PSU is kinda borderline, ive also never heard of the brand so dont know how reliable it is and how much power its actually able to put out.

Did you remember to use thermal paste on the new CPU when you installed it, and that the fan is working, its temp or power by the description of the symptoms.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
from what you say i agree with warriorscot. I believe most likely it is the CPU temp. After it freezes turn it off right away go into bios and see the temp. maybe it is overheating and the cpu is your problem

Royal

Royal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

From a quick glance, the PSU or the motherboard look the most likely culprits, the PSU is kinda borderline, ive also never heard of the brand so dont know how reliable it is and how much power its actually able to put out.

Did you remember to use thermal paste on the new CPU when you installed it, and that the fan is working, its temp or power by the description of the symptoms.

PSU is also called FSP. It is a somehwhat trustable bran, it has dual 18amp 12v rails. I asked before I bought the CPU if it would support it and the general response was "more than enough". The new CPU actually uses less than my old cpu.

I did put thermal paste, artic ceramique. Fan is working, the temps before freeze are...

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Fortron isn't -too- bad, as far as medium end power supplies go, but ASRock is just trouble.

Grab Everest http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html, check the Sensor area, and let us know what it's showing for 12v, 5v, 3.3v, CPU Temp, GPU Temp and System (or motherboard, or chipset) temp?

edit - For complete diagnostics, memtest (memtest.org) and prime95 (http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=103) tests will check memory and CPU, respectively.

Edited by Kurenai, 10 December 2006 - 06:59 PM.

Royal

Royal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Fortron isn't -too- bad, as far as medium end power supplies go, but ASRock is just trouble.

Grab Everest http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html, check the Sensor area, and let us know what it's showing for 12v, 5v, 3.3v, CPU Temp, GPU Temp and System (or motherboard, or chipset) temp?

edit - For complete diagnostics, memtest (memtest.org) and prime95 (http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=103) tests will check memory and CPU, respectively.

I will do those steps when I get home today or tomorrow and post a full diagnostic report of my system. I installed Oblivion last night, it actually ran pretty well for a good 10 minutes or so a little longer than WoW would freeze. But with oblivion, it did not freeze, it restarted. At that point this problem had a almost identical simularity to this guy: http://forums.nvidia...php?t21603.html
His system is almost the same as mine, he has a better video card than me yet a weaker processor. But his processor is also a Core 2 Duo.
He eventually upgraded his PSU to 500+ watts which seemed like it did nothing since his games continued to restart.
If he has the same motherboard, that could be te problem, but he also has the same version of processor as me.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
might also go to ASRock website and see if there is any bios or firmware updates for your motherboard...if they are like ASUS they crank out the new boards before getting everything stable...then they have bios updates every couple of months....

Royal

Royal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Fixed!
Answer: BIOS update.
Thanks all!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff