Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Build No Display!

• Please log in to reply

Ldee

Ldee

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hi,

I've started a new build today, installed the mobo, psu and fan, ram and graphics card. Switched it on, nothing on the screen. Here is the spec:

Gigabyte GA-p65p-ds3 motherboard

e6400 core 2 duo processor

2 x 512 mb ddr2 800 ram

galaxy 7600 gt 256mb pcie graphics card

The graphics card only has dvi outputs (2 of) so I am using the dvi to vga adapter that came with it to connect it to my vga monitor.

Also, just to let you know, the cpu fan (stock hsf) does not start straight away when the power goes on, it turns a little but then starts running a few seconds later. Is this normal due to detecting heat and then starting the fan?

I have not connected any hard disks yet, just trying to see post and bios. Please help!

Thank you

EDIT: I checked to see if the graphics required additional power, but there is no connection for this on the card, I resetted the cmos, I took it all out of the case and just have it on the anti static bag with just the cpu, ram and graphics plugged in, still nothing on display.

The monitor does work on other systems.

Edited by Ldee, 10 December 2006 - 02:27 PM.

Advertisements

Ldee

Ldee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
By the way, I have a 550 watt power supply.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
First thing, confirm you have the system speaker connected to the motherboard.

Next, pull the graphics card, and see if you get an error beep (normally 1 long, 3 short) code from the system.

Ldee

Ldee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thanks for your reply Kurenai,

I haven't tried that yet, I will do that asap. Unfortunatly it will have to wait until tomorrow some time at earliest, the system is a build for a family member and it's not at my house. But I will definitely post back because I obviously need to resolve this asap. Usually, isn't there one short beep when everything is ok? Because at the moment it's not beeping at all. I have tried the speaker connection both ways round in its pins because I didn't hear anything, still no beep (the speaker connection does not indicate where is positive and where is negative).

Also, I had quite a bit of trouble getting the mboard in decently, the screws just kept turning when screwed into a few of the brass stand offs, I replaced a few of the screws and stand offs but never really got all of the screws to fasten all the way (I didn't attempt to tighten them too much, but just to get them to tighten so that they wouldn't turn anymore, a couple wouldn't) I've had a couple like this in the past but never this many, it must be bad quality screws and/or stand offs? However I did get it so the board would not move in any way (but would flex a bit), was not touching the case, and would take inserting plugs without moving. I found I had to push very hard to get the stock fan for the e6400 seated correctly, and the ram too, both much harder than anything I've put in in the past.

Anyway, I'll see if I get any beeps without the graphics card and let you know asap.

Thanks!

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
As long as the standoffs are securely in the board, and the screws are making a good connection both to them, and to the board itself, you're ok. The main point of the screws going into the standoffs is to provide a grounding point for the board. I'll keep an eye on this tonight and tomorrow night, but may not be available to respond during the day.

Ldee

Ldee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Ok, I checked the system speaker in another board and it works fine there, beeps away. Back in the new board there are no beeps at all even without the graphics card.

Also since trying today, when I switch the system on the psu fan keeps cutting out. It spins for 5 seconds or so and cuts out for 3, continuously, with the graphics in or not. I hope it hasn't broken the psu!

As long as the standoffs are securely in the board, and the screws are making a good connection both to them, and to the board itself, you're ok.

Not sure what you mean by this, the stand offs are (in my case anyway) not "in" the board, the board is resting atop them, and a screw is going through the board and securing into the stand offs (with a paper washer on the top side of the mboard in my case). Did you mean to make sure the stand offs are secured firmly into the panel in the case? Because that's annoying, when they turn in the case.

Thanks for keeping an eye on my thread, please reply when it's convenient for you.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you say "I've started a new build today, installed the mobo, psu and fan, ram and graphics card. Switched it on, nothing on the screen. "...I assume you also installed the CPU + heatsink and fan...

PSU's don't like being powered up without anything connected ...so lets hope you didn't do that...

the board is supposed to rest on top of the standoffs...
do you have a different PSU and PSU cord you can try...try changing the cord first...because if the PSU fan/s don't work then the PSU is your problem...

Ldee

Ldee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Yes, sorry, I meant "cpu + hsf", not psu and fan.

I have tried the psu with another board and it works fine, I've also tried another psu with this gigabyte board and I still get no beeps or display.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
contact Gigabyte support...

http://www.gigabyte....viceCenter.aspx

sounds like you got a bad mobo...if you bought it local they may exchange it for you...if not then you will have to RMA the board after talking with the support people...

Ldee

Ldee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
OK, um, new development, lol

Someone on another forum pointed me to the fact that it should need another 4 pin power connector in the board for the cpu, so I found it (on the right of the board), plugged it in and now I've got display.

Sorry about that, but I swear it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the manuals (and I've never used one needing this connection before).

However, all is not totally ok. The fan in the psu stops every few seconds for a couple of seconds, I phoned the shop and the guy says that shouldn't happen. So I have to bring that back.

Sorry for wasting forum space with this, at least I'll never have this problem again! Thanks to Kurenai and Happyrck for their help.

(I might be back for help with the psu, hopefully not!)

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I had a problem similar to this, and it was a PSU problem, I disconnected it from the board, flicked off the switch and took out the power for five minutes, plugged it back into the board - then plugged the power into the PSU and it worked.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you said..." I have tried the psu with another board and it works fine..."...exactly how did you do this...

Ldee

Ldee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I plugged the psu into an asrock p4 board, (the same board I tested the speaker in) no graphics, just ram and cpu. It seemed to work fine before, however I've tried it again tonight and the fan is stopping in this board also. Right now I have the new build running and the fan in the psu seems to be ok though...? It hasn't stopped since I turned it on last (about 40 mins ago), and a memtest is going fine. I think I'll still take it back though, seems dodgy. Maybe it's ok now after turning it off like SuperSams.

Ldee

Ldee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
A new problem. I've had to bring back the front panel of the case, the case features four blue led lights in each corner, but one stopped working then two. So I brought that back, and I brought back the psu (the one that the fan was stopping and starting in). So I put the new front on the case and the new psu in, plugged everything in, and the cpu fan didnt start. I was alarmed and I stopped the system and checked to see if anything was unplugged, but it wasn't. So I thought maybe the psu couldn't take the load so I unplugged one of the hard disks, after that the cpu fan did start and I booted. After booting, all four case lights worked ok, then after a while one of them stopped, then a second. So now only 2 of the 4 are working.

Do you think this is totally related to the psu? It's 550w, I thought this should be capable of handling what I have in the system?
As well as what I mentioned in the first post I have these connected to the psu:

1 x sata 250gb 7200rpm hard disk

1 x ide 120gb 7200rpm hard disk

1 x optical drive (dvd burner on IDE)

1 x 120mm case fan

1 x molex connector for the led's from the case front.

If this is a psu problem will the lights work again with a new psu? Should I go for the same brand (ezCool, cheap, but I've been told reliable) but higher rating (600w or 700w), or a different brand, Antec or something?

Thanks.