Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Yeah so, this happened while watching a movie with VLC (startup items ctfmon and aim6 running)
Posted Image

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Got this while listening to music and DLing pictures off the net with startup items ctfmon and DC++ turned on.
Posted Image
Got this right after logging on after that...
Posted Image

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Got this while putting in my password to log in:
Posted Image
Then when trying to log in for the second time the computer froze at the "please wait while windows logs in" screen.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm still leaning towards the video card. Did you ever try installing some older drivers?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I've been running video driver version 84.21 for about 6 days now.
Got this while idling with startup items ctfmon and DC++ running.
Posted Image

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Got this with startup items ctfmon, DC++, and aim6 enabled. Was also using winamp to listen to music. This one happened right after the screen saver came on.
Posted Image

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Run a REPAIR to your installation of XP.

Doing this will re-register all the hardware and some may be given new IRQ's...let's see if doing this helps. (I'm still leaning towards the video card.)

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Ok, I'll do that later tonight.
Don't let this affect your judgment, but I really wouldn't mind if the video card was the problem. Its still under warrenty.

Thanks for sticking with me on this! :whistling:

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Okay before I tell you what happened with the repair I thought I'd show you this.
Posted Image
I highlighted what I think was most interesting/intriguing.

Anyway I would like to point out that at any time in the repair process when the computer has to reboot, I must remove the XP cd or this happens:
Posted Image
Also during the repair it asked for a CD which turned out to be my motherboard CD. I only bring this up because windows has never asked me for a different CD than the one that has XP on it.
Posted Image
During the repair I had to leave the computer alone (classes) and it finished on its own. Then it rebooted and I got that "error loading operating system" screen again. I don't think this is a problem though, just a simple matter of rebooting without the CD in the drive.
Then like five seconds after logging in for the first time logging in after the reboot I get this. I'm not sure which startup items were running but I think the repair reset some of them.
Posted Image
Posted Image

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you install the SATA/RAID drivers?

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
What SATA/RAID Drivers? When?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Same startup items as last time, wasn't even doing anything intense. Just moving applications from one place to another.
Posted Image
Also since this BSOD all my bookmarks in Firefox have disappeared.

edit: should I disable the majority of these startup items like I was before?

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 13 February 2007 - 01:00 PM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Whenever I try to change the screen saver the screen does this and is irreversible (unless I push the power button which shuts down the computer)
Posted Image
Also the last time I tried to post this I couldn't connect to the net. When I tried to repair the connection I got this:
Posted Image

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Left the computer on over night, woke up and it was at the login screen. Event viewer shows this as the last thing to happen:
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf8048ba, parameter3 b9996714, parameter4 00000000

Since the repair the blue screens are coming with a timer and then the computer automatically restarts, whats up with that. It wasn't doing that before.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Didn't take long after login for this to happen:
Posted Image
The Microsoft help that automatically happens every time I blue screen blamed the video card drivers this time too.