Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you change the one that says plug and play O/S from ....yes to no or vise versa
did you get and install all the drivers yet...

Edited by happyrck, 04 April 2007 - 03:51 PM.

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I switched the plug 'n play option to [yes]

And I still haven't installed SCSI ATA RAID Drivers, ACPI drivers, or a download for my CPU yet.
(I'm not sure if the CPU thing is a driver or not.)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
those should all be on the cd that came with the mobo...install them all...
I think he meant chipset drivers ...not cpu drivers..

Edited by happyrck, 04 April 2007 - 04:52 PM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

those should all be on the cd that came with the mobo...install them all...

alright, done.

I think he meant chipset drivers ...not cpu drivers..

I have no idea what you mean by that.

ADDENDUM
Not even half an hour into a little game of Counter-Strike Source I got a blue screen.
Posted Image
It was playing great up until then too...
ADDENDUM
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This one came immediately after logging in after the last one..

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 04 April 2007 - 07:57 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
How much space is set for the swap file...make the minimum and maximum the same number...example if you have 1Gig of ram then set the swap file to 2000 MGb...

look in the bios and make sure DMA is enabled for the hard drive...

I'm pretty sure you are having a IRQ problem...USB should have its own IRQ or it can share with PCI steering...
that earlier pic showed your... display controller... IDE controller and one of the USB controllers ..all sharing the same IRQ

could you list your system components for me ..I don't have time to read thru this book again :whistling:
include keyboard and mouse

Edited by happyrck, 05 April 2007 - 08:22 AM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
ok all system components... since you said even keyboard and mouse I'm going list absolutely everything.

Inside the box:
Case---------------Antec Performance One P180B Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel for durability through the majority of chassis 1.0mm cold rolled steel around the 4 x HDD area ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power Supply-----Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB
Motherboard------ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU----------------AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
Video Card--------EVGA 512-P2-N635-AR GeForce 7950GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card
RAM----------------GeIL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model GE1GB3200BDCK
CD Drive----------SONY DVD Burner Black IDE Model DW-D26A BLK
Hard Drives-------(system) Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
---------------------(supplemental) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
---------------------(supplemental) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
---------------------(supplemental) Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JB 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
---------------------(supplemental) Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JD 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

Outiside the box:
Speakers----------Logitech® Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System (connected through analog)
Monitors-----------(primary) Hanns·G JW-199DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers
--------------------(secondary) Rosewill R905E-W Black 19" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
Keyboard---------Logitech 967502-0403 Black PS/2 Wired Standard Value Keyboard
Mouse-------------Logitech Marble Gray 4 Buttons USB + PS/2 Wired TrackBall Mouse

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
could you look in the bios and in the ...DRAM configuration ..where it says memory hole for PCI...set it to disable
while your in the bios..SLI configuration...if its set to auto then set it to single...if its set to single then set it to auto and make sure just above is set to enabled..

why do you need so many large HD's...

you can move the swap files to a different drive and set the OS drive swap file to the minimum...its like 2 or 4 Mb..

think of all of those hard drive like a work crew for the city...one guys in the ditch working (OS DRIVE) and the other 4 guys(supplemental drives) stand around watching him..he has to climb out of the ditch ..walk to the truck..get the next tool he needs...climb back into the ditch and start working again..repeating this process many ..many times...

moving the swap files to a different drive is like having one of the guys that was just watching now will be getting the tools that the guy in the ditch needs and handing them to him..

I have a regular client that I have to do some work for ....will research this more later...

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

How much space is set for the swap file...make the minimum and maximum the same number...example if you have 1Gig of ram then set the swap file to 2000 MGb...
look in the bios and make sure DMA is enabled for the hard drive...

I changed the space set for the swap file. I have 1Gig of ram so I set it at 2000 Mb.
This is what it used to look like:
Posted Image
BTW I didn't set a value for this ever before, I don't know why its got a set "custom size".

could you look in the bios and in the ...DRAM configuration ..where it says memory hole for PCI...set it to disable

I found the DRAM Configuration menu but nothing that says "memory hole for PCI".
Posted Image

while your in the bios..SLI configuration...if its set to auto then set it to single...if its set to single then set it to auto and make sure just above is set to enabled..

DONE set to single
After doing this I got 2 blue screens
Posted Image
Posted Image

why do you need so many large HD's...

Because I never delete anything and I'm a bit of a shutterbug. Trust me it builds up.

you can move the swap files to a different drive and set the OS drive swap file to the minimum...its like 2 or 4 Mb..

think of all of those hard drive like a work crew for the city...one guys in the ditch working (OS DRIVE) and the other 4 guys(supplemental drives) stand around watching him..he has to climb out of the ditch ..walk to the truck..get the next tool he needs...climb back into the ditch and start working again..repeating this process many ..many times...

moving the swap files to a different drive is like having one of the guys that was just watching now will be getting the tools that the guy in the ditch needs and handing them to him.

So I'm moving the swap file to only one other drive? Instead of having the 4 other proverbial guys help dig the ditch?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

So I'm moving the swap file to only one other drive? Instead of having the 4 other proverbial guys help dig the ditch?

I have two 10 K raptors hosting my swap files...BUT they are in a RAID 0 setup so the system 'sees" them as 1 drive...if you didn't have all these blue screens it would be fun to play around and see if any performance gains could be had using several drives..on different controllers..hmmmm
select one drive...the one with Perpendicular Recording...set the minimum AND maximum swap file to 2500 MBs
then set the C: drive to 3MBs...both min and max

I want you to go here and do a driver scan...get a screenshot of drivers...the scan is free ..they charge for updated drivers but we just want to know which ..if any..are old or bad..

what is the PEG link set to...try setting it to normal

set the dram configuration over 4G remapping to disabled

I found the DRAM Configuration menu but nothing that says "memory hole for PCI".

I think I found that online for your mobo .. :whistling: its not in the PDF I downloaded now...so nevermind

did you ever pull the ram and get the manufactures names and numbers..some ram doesn't play well with others if mixed..
did you ever pull all the ram but one stick..(it must be in slot B 1 to work)...I know you let it run for 9 hours but memstest does not always show bad ram even though there can be a problem

you do have onboard sound...try removing the PCI sound card and using the onboard sound..enable the onboard sound in your bios...AC 97 Audio...this can help if its not built to allow sharing in the cards drivers

Edited by happyrck, 07 April 2007 - 09:55 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hi are you still getting A Blue screen of death if so I would like to look at the MiniDUMP files in the windows Debugger.

To do this
1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > upload the ZIP file as a atachment in your next reply.

I will go ahead and run them though the debugger and then we can see if it is a specific driver that is causing the problem. Or if it is completely random. Which is not a good thing because that points more to hardware. And if a Memory test passed and your HDD test passed we might be looking at a L2 Cashe problem.

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

select one drive...the one with Perpendicular Recording...set the minimum AND maximum swap file to 2500 MBs
then set the C: drive to 3MBs...both min and max

DonePosted Image

I want you to go here and do a driver scan...get a screenshot of drivers...the scan is free ..they charge for updated drivers but we just want to know which ..if any..are old or bad..

DonePosted Image

what is the PEG link set to...try setting it to normal

Done

set the dram configuration over 4G remapping to disabled

This is what you meant right?Posted Image

did you ever pull the ram and get the manufactures names and numbers..some ram doesn't play well with others if mixed..

512 MB PC3200
DDR400 CL=2.5-8-4-4
GEIGB3200BDCK=
ASSEMBLED IN USA
Posted Image

did you ever pull all the ram but one stick..(it must be in slot B 1 to work)...I know you let it run for 9 hours but memstest does not always show bad ram even though there can be a problem

No, I've never done this.

you do have onboard sound...try removing the PCI sound card and using the onboard sound..enable the onboard sound in your bios...AC 97 Audio...this can help if its not built to allow sharing in the cards drivers

I don't have a PCI sound card. I'm using onboard sound.

Hi are you still getting A Blue screen of death if so I would like to look at the MiniDUMP files in the windows Debugger.

To do this
1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > upload the ZIP file as a atachment in your next reply.

I will go ahead and run them though the debugger and then we can see if it is a specific driver that is causing the problem. Or if it is completely random. Which is not a good thing because that points more to hardware. And if a Memory test passed and your HDD test passed we might be looking at a L2 Cashe problem.

Okay its attatched to this post and the next post since its more than 500k.

Attached Files

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
heres the second part

ADDENDUM
Posted Image
Got this while downloading some files, talking on AIM and watching a movie.
Also before this BSOD, I was playing some CSS and the program randomly terminated. Not sure if thats relevant but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Attached Files

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 07 April 2007 - 10:21 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Well I have bad news. I checked though the dump files came back and said that it is Probably hardware

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

The system was built from scratch last summer, and I recently had to replace a few parts.

I just finished installing the new chipset drivers and vid drivers. The new bios will have to wait because I have a Final Exam tomorrow and I need to do a little studying.

I was just going though the thread again and you said you recently had to replace a few parts. What parts did you replace and why.
This will help us in our troubleshooting.

Never mind i just found the thread.

you replaced the RAM.

Lets see you said HDD diags say AOK and memory Says good too. Random blue screens are still pointing towards memory.

Video card has been replaced so that is not the issue

I just Ran though the complete Bug Check and here is the first one

032107 -01
BugCheck 100000BE, {80539a78, 539121, f59dd09c, b}
Probably caused by : hardware ( win32k+23b2b )

032207-01
BugCheck 100000BE, {80539a78, 539121, f79668dc, b}
Probably caused by : hardware ( nt+62a6a )

032207-01
BugCheck 100000BE, {80539a78, 539121, f10c8e00, b}
Probably caused by : hardware ( SPBBCDrv+2c67 )

032307-01
BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 148f4489, f06b9a24, 0}
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+ec604 )

032407-01
BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 806354e1, eddf1bb4, 0}
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+15e4e1 )

032507-01
BugCheck 9C, {4, 8054d5f0, b2000000, 70f0f}
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+22deb )

Mini032507-02
BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 8063327e, f76d68b0, 0}
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+15c27e )

Mini032507-03
BugCheck 1000007F, {d, 0, 0, 0}
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k+abfb )

Mini032607-01
BugCheck 100000EA, {8504a768, 85e40890, f78c6cbc, 1}
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+4808e )

Mini032707-01
BugCheck 10000050, {a1013474, 0, 805f6778, 0}
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+11f778 )

Mini032707-02
BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 148f4489, edcd3340, 0}
Probably caused by : SPBBCDrv.sys ( SPBBCDrv+2c67 )

Mini032707-03
BugCheck 100000D1, {4, 2, 0, f2167004}
Probably caused by : NVTcp.sys ( NVTcp+7004 )

Mini032707-04
BugCheck 1000000A, {40000008, 2, 0, 804e8178}
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+11178 )

Mini032707-05
BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, bf8021fe, f0dbdc24, 0}
Probably caused by : hardware ( win32k+21fe )

Mini032807-01
BugCheck 1000000A, {d0e1dbfc, 1, 0, 8050525f}
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+2e25f )

Mini032807-02
BugCheck 100000D1, {47b5e7c, 2, 0, f6c3959a}
Probably caused by : NVNRM.SYS ( NVNRM+b59a )

Mini032807-03
BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 148f4489, f5888d3c, 0}
Probably caused by : SPBBCDrv.sys ( SPBBCDrv+2c67 )

Mini032907-01
BugCheck 10000050, {a1016474, 0, 805f6778, 0}
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+11f778 )

Mini032907-02
BugCheck 1000000A, {d0e22f5c, 1, 0, 8050525f}
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+2e25f )

Have you reinstalled the Operating system yet. Sounds like the windows kernel is having problems.

Try running a sfc /scannow

see if that helps.

Edited by tuxmaster, 08 April 2007 - 02:23 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Got this while downloading some files, talking on AIM and watching a movie.

you may want to get your system stable before asking it to multi task...

if you don't have anything connected to the parallel port on the back of your case..usually older printers or scanners

then go into the bios and disable the parallel port...that will free up a IRQ..

lots of people are having trouble with the NF4 firewall aka NAM...turn it off or disable it

use msconfig and go into startup and uncheck everything except your AV and firewall...go to start...all progams..then delete anything in the startup folder... then just play a game and nothing else...

the first error message... navex15.sys belongs to Symantec Antivirus Engine ...way back I recall you running AVG...you

can't have 2 AV's..they will fight..remove Symantec (norton) if its on your system...

the 2nd error says you have mismatched memory or a video adapter problem...
you could try just using 1 stick in slot B 1 to see if in fact it is mismatched memory...if you get blue screens with the
first stick swap for the second stick and try again...

the driver scan says you have bad drivers for ...
your video card...check at the video card manufactures site for their newest STABLE driver

the next three you can get at the mobo's wesite
your IDE controller..
your audio codec interface..
your network bus enumerator...

marvell yukon 8010 PCI gigibyte ethernet controller ...you can get the driver here

your mouse...get the newest drivers from the mouse manufactures website

if you don't use Raid then you won't need the softraid 5 controller driver