Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Install all of the drivers, updates, enable the firewall and install the anti-virus before playing music, games and etc. If you aren't willling to setup the system correctly and make sure it is stable before playing with it, then you shall be forever doomed with BSODs.

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Install all of the drivers, updates, enable the firewall and install the anti-virus before playing music, games and etc. If you aren't willling to setup the system correctly and make sure it is stable before playing with it, then you shall be forever doomed with BSODs.

Is playing solitare included in any of those things I shouldn't be doing?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Nothing. Computer stable then play.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Okay, I've gotten all of the drivers installed without incident. Although windows has recognized a device I've never seen before: Silicon Image's Pseudo Processor Device. I allowed the wizard to search for drivers by itself and apparently it found somthing because I haven't seen the popup again.

Only question I have at the moment is should I install the anti-virus first, before checking the stability?

BTW happyrck I haven't installed any updates yet.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if the game you play is not a online one you can just try installing it and play...if its a online one you should install your AV first...then try playing

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Alrighty then.

Also, I havent had the other hard drives plugged in since this latest install of XP. When do you think I should start plugging them back in? Furthermore when, (if ever) would it be a good idea to put my other ramstick back in?

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 17 April 2007 - 04:04 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Get all of your updates first. Make sure XP is still stable then try hooking up your other drives one at a time and test for stability each time.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
create a restore point and then get the 70 + "patches" for check to be sure its stable before adding anthing else..
then just add one thing at a time and do whatever you used to do that caused your system to hang or crash...at least a day in between...keep adding until it hangs/crashs or everything is hooked and working like its supposed to...
hows it running right now

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Right now I'm playing the single player campaign of FEAR at the highest possible settings. The first time I booted up the game crashed and I got a yellow caution sign in the system tray. I couldn't find out what it was before it disappeared so I checked the even viewer. I'm pretty sure it was a virtual memory notification saying that I had run out and windows was increasing the size of virtual memory. After that happened, FEAR wouldn't start; saying it was "unable to initialize the renderer to a valid video mode". But then I just restarted the computer and its running fine now. The game is running pretty good now that I've got that sorted out, except when I round a corner of course, but that is most likely due to having only half my RAM at the moment.

*fingers crossed*

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
great ...let me know how it goes...I will be online for several hours researching some things...

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I've gotten two game crashes now. Not the whole computer, just the game. Currently I'm running with the latest patch installed.

Attached Files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
If you have texture resolution set to max, that could cause some stuttering. You need 2GB of RAM to set the texture resolution that high.... Also, your CPU may be holding you back when the enemies start filling the room and the CPU has to take care of all AI stuff....try lowering your settings
did you install the other stick of ram before installing fear

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I haven't had the other ramstick in since you guys told me to remove it.

And since that last post I've gotten a blue screen. (While playing FEAR)
Posted Image

EDIT
Are you saying a AMD X2 64 3800+ isn't enough to play FEAR?
I've also uploaded the dmp file for the BSOD.

Attached Files

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 18 April 2007 - 09:41 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
put the other stick of ram in...turn off AA and AF..you may have to uninstall f.e.a.r if it crashes your system

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Done. So far no problems.