Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I've installed my anti-virus but I can't seem to get the updates for it. The download goes a lot slower than I remember it going, and stops often; which then leads eventually to it saying: LU1835: Connection to the LiveUpdate server failed." Is this a problem for me or should I give it a little time in case its the servers problem?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thought we had already switched the RAM modules around once...though it gets hard to keep track with a topic this long.

For the latest issue, try THIS.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Well I tried it again after a restart and it worked. It went real slow, but it worked.

On another note, the game playing is going to have to be toned down a bit because I've got a paper to write.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Has the stability inproved sence the operating system reinstall.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
well ive only gotten ONE blue screen so far if thats what you mean
but im not doing all the stuff i used to yet
mostly because all my stuff is on other hard drives

EDIT
After leaving it to idle overnight with electric-sheep as the screensaver it blue screened before morning.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 19 April 2007 - 06:59 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I know you ran memtest for 9 hours and it didn't show any errors ...BUT now that you put in that second stick of ram back in and we are getting BSODs again...while you weren't even stressing the system...that second stick or the northbridge chip has got to be bad..

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
So should I run memtest again overnight?
Also, I must say that any computer is kinda stressed by electric-sheep. This is because electric-sheep uses the processing power of everybody who has the screensaver to render new frames that are used to make new "sheep". I hope I was able to explain that well enough. If I didn't here's the site for the screensaver.
Anyway this is what is going on with the taskmanager while the screensaver is running.
Posted Image
Oh BTW, I installed windowblinds and cursor xp, is that going to be a problem with our diagnostics?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

So should I run memtest again overnight?

Oh BTW, I installed windowblinds and cursor xp, is that going to be a problem with our diagnostics?

no on memtest...
the trick is we only want to install one thing at a time and test for stability...at least a day..adding more than one and then having problems does not tell us what software or hardware is not playing nice with other software or hardware..
if you decide on your own to start adding things we will never be able to get this figured out..

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Oh my bad.

*Deletes programs*

EDIT
OK I'm back to were I once was, with the only extra things being FEAR and my antivirus. Where were we?

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 19 April 2007 - 08:06 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
as far as the Electric Sheep goes..."the screen saver comes on and the computers communicate with each other by the internet"...this is probably a quick way to pick some nasties like a virus or worm...I recommend you never put that or any program like it back on... :blink: :help:
in fact I am of the group that recommends you turn your computer off at night...there are others that never turn theirs off...turning your computer off clears the ram and swap files...with booting around the 1 minute mark and loading a fresh copy of windows everyday...power supply not taking any spikes or surge's ...and your sitting there when windows starts complaining about something..(think error messages)..and you will know exactly what you were doing when the problems started...instead of waking up to find the computer hung or crashed...with a error message that as clear as mud.. :whistling:
use msconfig ...startup ...the only things left checked should be your firewall and anti virus (which AV do you use ?)
reboot...try playing FEAR again....

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I'm using Symantech Antivirus paired with Windows Firewall.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
norton (symantec) is a resource hog..I recommend you remove it with this tool and get AVG or get Avast instead if you like to IM...both are certified and lighter on your system...and free

I strongly recommend installing the following applications...

Detect and Remove Programs:
How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware
there are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.

How to use Spybot to remove Spyware
If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer,
Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.

Prevention Programs:
Spywareblaster <=
SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.

IE/Spyad <=
IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.

MVPS Hosts file <=
The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
Other necessary Programs:
An AntiVirus program is a must!
a free version like
AVG or

Avast

A FIREWALL is a must have.
good free version
ZoneAlarm.

Internet Explorer is not the most secure and best browser. There are safer and better alternatives available. I recommend Firefox

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Do I have to install these things one day at a time or can I just do those now?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get them all now...update them and run them all..one at a time

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
OK, now I'm confused.

Am I installing them all now, one after another.

Or am I waiting one day in-between?

EDIT
The link for IE/Spyad doesnt work.
ZoneAlarm isn't free, unless you mean the 15 day trial.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 20 April 2007 - 09:17 AM.