Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can find other good PSUs that will work without having to mod your case...

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
So I was finally able to get a better PSU. Now what I've got powering my computer is a PC Power & Cooling 850 SSI. But games still crash (haven't blue screened while in game though). Also I got a blue screen while downloading from the net saying "MEMORY MANAGEMENT ERROR".

I'm not the expert but, I'm getting the feeling that my CPU is the problem. This feeling comes mostly from the fact that its the only part I haven't replaced.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Okay, haven't posted in awhile. But do you think it would be okay for me to allow Windows to update now? Its still the fresh CD install.

EDIT
I got three consecutive blue screens earlier, they were all occurring at precisely the same moment during playback of an avi file so I deleted that. I got a picture of the last blue screen if its of any interest.
Posted Image

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 25 June 2007 - 11:21 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I know before you were talking about replacing your video card was that ever replaced?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I know that I have, in fact replaced it yes.
ATM I've got an eVGA GeForce 7950 GTKO.
But I went back about 7 pages in the thread and didn't see where I mentioned that, must be further back.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
That is interesting becouse we are still getting the blue screen having to do with Nvidea video drivers?

Are you ever getting any display type problems?

Does your system lock up still?

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I've been going through this post and I got to the point where it looks like memtest has not been run since you added your second stick of RAM back. Can you confirm this?

If it hasn't been run, I would recommend leaving it running for at least 12 hours. If you get errors, try only one stick. If you still get errors, try the other. Once you stop getting errors, you can find out if it's one stick of ram or both (or neither :whistling: )

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Are you ever getting any display type problems?
Does your system lock up still?

I am not really having problems with the display. If I am reading that question correctly that is. Everything displays on the screen as it should, untill I get blue screens of course.

As far as lock ups, I'm pretty sure you mean freezing right? Well that doesn't happen hardly as much. I think that has happened only once since about May or so, maybe even further back but I can't really remember.

I've been going through this post and I got to the point where it looks like memtest has not been run since you added your second stick of RAM back. Can you confirm this?
If it hasn't been run, I would recommend leaving it running for at least 12 hours. If you get errors, try only one stick. If you still get errors, try the other. Once you stop getting errors, you can find out if it's one stick of ram or both (or neither)

Actually I can't confirm this, it was much too long ago. So I guess I'm running some more memtest. ATM I can't because my computer is all apart right now because I'm trying to put my new power supply in (PC Power & Cooling 850 SSI), I had it connected before but not inside the case you see, (it wouldn't fit). :whistling:

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Ok so now that I've got it all back together, I'm running memtest.
Before that I was just doing a little bit of catching up when I got a random restart with no blue screen. After it restarted I checked to see if that option had been ticked and it wasn't.... weird.
Anyway I'm running memtest right now, last night the power went out so I have to run it again. Its on the 8th pass right now and no errors so far.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
So i completed the 12 hour memtest run. No errors.

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
So i completed the 12 hour memtest run. No errors.
Edit: Woops double post.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 02 July 2007 - 09:18 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I want to recap just to make sure that everything that we have done is covered.

You have replaced your video card.
You have preformed a fresh reinstall.
You basically reinstalled on a new hard drive.
Ran memory tests without errors.

Am I missing anything in the recap?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Nope you haven't missed anything. :whistling:

Also, a while back I was told not to install any windows updates; I still haven't. Would it be alright for me to do that now?

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 03 July 2007 - 01:05 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Should be able to it might actually fix some things.

How often are you getting these blue screens.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Blue screens don't happen very often anymore. Maybe once a week?

EDIT
BSOD while playing Hitman: Blood Money. Same one as before.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 03 July 2007 - 12:34 PM.