Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Please try it out.

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Try what out? Playing HL2 or plugging all my stuff back in? Or both? Oh yeah I also forgot to update my bios so I'm going to do that too.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
BIOS updated. But now my computer is showing that I have a floppy drive. Problem is that I don't have a floppy drive. I think I can fix this just by changing a setting in the BIOS but I thought I ought to mention it.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Half Life 2 crashed twice (the game not the computer) the first time I got the "Looping Sound Crash", for those of you not familiar with Half Life 2, the "Looping Sound Crash" is when the game freezes and the sound that was playing at the moment "loops". This never happened to me before this installation of windows. I turned down the sound acceleration in dxdiag and tried the game again. This time the game didn't do any looping sound, but it did crash unexpectedly. It's possible that this is a game problem and not a computer problem.

Other than this my computer has been running fine. Only some more time will tell however.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to run the computer with the basic hardware connected, Avoid the suspicious game. Run, at first, simple applications which do not use many resources, such as office applications. If ok run media player for music and video. If you have another game installed try it. What we try to find out at this stage is whether the computer is stable with this minimal hardware installation. If yes, we will start connecting, graually, the other pieces of hardware that we disconnected.

Regarding the video card: If under basic hardware installation the system still crashes, I would try an OLDER driver version. The way new drivers are released to the market is mind boggling and quite often new versions are not tested long enough for stability.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
^^apparently not much time.

got this while editing some file names and the way I view files in various folders in one of my other HDDs (not the system drive)
Posted Image
Then when starting up after that, this happened.
Posted Image
If you want I'll post the content of the bootex file that ended up on the drive after that.

edit

Also can somebody tell me why all my SATA drives are showing up as removable devices?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 15 December 2006 - 01:49 AM.

Ozzyb

Ozzyb

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Is it possible for you to install asus probe
(Think it’s on the cd that came with your mobo)
Keep an eye on your processor temperature while using the pc until it crashes let me know how hot it’s getting.

This topic is so long now, I cant remember if you have tried to reinstall win xp again from boot
If you haven’t Could you try that ?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried what I suggested in post 65? We must understand if the system is stable when only C drive is connected. Your error message indicate for a problem in another disk.which needs to be checked like you checked the system disk. Please leave this for time being and run the computer on basic installation.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Is it possible for you to install asus probe
(Think it’s on the cd that came with your mobo)
Keep an eye on your processor temperature while using the pc until it crashes let me know how hot it’s getting.

This topic is so long now, I cant remember if you have tried to reinstall win xp again from boot
If you haven’t Could you try that ?

Yeah I have ASUS PC Probe II installed and running. Is there a way to get it to create a .txt file that logs the temperature every minute or so? I had a program on my previous build that did that.

Try installing XP again??? Oh god. I guess I could try that. XP and I have a history. This would be the 5th time XP Pro or XP Pro 64 has been installed on my computer. My last build had a grand total of 12 installations before I got it right.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Maybe you should add more RAM. high games like that need lots of RAM.

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
In post #65 I mentioned that I got a blue screen and then upon reboot CHKDSK runs.

Including that time, this has happened edit(four) times so far. What does this mean?

(edit) This drive is my only IDE drive, which is also hooked up through a 5.25 bay tray. Could the tray be malfunctioning? I'm going to unhook it and see.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 15 December 2006 - 10:27 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
That NTFS.sys is your file table.

Hopefully she aint going out the door.

By the way I like your vollume name "Drunken Stepfather" LOL :-)

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Hopefully she aint going out the door.

Well um, what happens if it has or is going out the door?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
That it means your HD might be failing.

Backup all your stuff just in case.

By the way, how old is the HD?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I emptied the drive and backed up everything. The drive is about (CORRECTION two months CORRECTION) old. And if the drive was causing problems it wasn't causing all of them because I got this after removing the drive.
Posted Image

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 16 December 2006 - 04:46 PM.