Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The Stop 0xA message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own. This Stop message is typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

Possible Resolutions:

• A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

• A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.

• If you encounter a Stop 0xA message while upgrading to Windows XPl, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates.

Stop 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.

Possible Resolutions:

• If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace the hardware to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the hardware manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.

• Stop 0x50 messages can also occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If the file name is listed, you need to disable, remove, or roll back that driver. If not, disable the recently installed service or application to determine if this resolves the error. If this does not resolve the problem, contact the hardware manufacturer for updates. Using updated drivers and software is especially important for network interface cards, video adapters, backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools. If an updated driver is not available, attempt to use a driver from a similar device in the same family. For example, if printing to a Model 1100C printer causes Stop 0x50 errors, using a printer driver meant for a Model 1100A or Model 1000 might temporarily resolve the problem.

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Got another one.

Posted Image

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
YAY for unstability
Posted Image
Posted Image
I don't want to come off as impatient but I sent you (wannabe1 an email with that 2nd scan log right?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you did, I didn't receive it.

What happens if you run the machine using Diagnostic Startup from msconfig? Do you still get the BSOD's?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
well i guess ill try sending that log to you again Edit: SENT

Also I'm not familiar with diagnostic startup from msconfig, could you possibly mean safe mode?

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 26 January 2007 - 08:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...not Safe Mode.

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "General" tab, tick the Diagnostic Startup check box and Apply the change. Reboot.

Upon restarting, you will see a Selective Startup dialog...this is normal...tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

See how the machine runs using this configuration.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Ok ill do that and see. Did you get my email, I just sent it out.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I did. It's two days old though, so doesn't show the most recent errors. The good news is, the error I wanted to address with the download I had you do appears to have been eliminated.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Well at least we have that. I'll let you guys know how running in diagnostic mode goes.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Got these. (none of them in diagnostic mode)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Got this while using photoshop
Posted Image
Got this while trying to log in
Posted Image

I plugged my IDE drive back in and now every time I boot up this happens.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also got a blue screen before I could reboot after installing CPU drivers. I didn't even know there was such a thing as CPU drivers before now. Anyway would that mess up the installation?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you have any BSOD's at all while running in Diagnostic Mode?

Click Start, then Run, type cmd and press Enter...a command session will open.

At the command prompt, type fsutil dirty query e:, press "Enter". Does this return that the drive is "dirty"?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
So far I have had no BSODs while running windows in diagnostic mode, of course i really cant do much in diagnostic mode either. For instance a lot of the BSODs happened when I was watching a movie or using a program or somthing. In diagnostic mode I can't watch movies because theres no audio and I really dont feel the need to use photoshop right now. So mostly I've just been letting it idle.

Will it be alright if I do the fsutil dirty query e: thing while in diagnostic mode or will I have to be in regular windows for that?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go ahead and boot back to Normal Mode and run the query command. I suspect it will come back as dirty.

Then we'll try a selective startup. Using the configuration utility (msconfig) again, Under the "General" tab, tick the button next to "Selective Startup" and untick the box next to "Load startup items"...Apply the change and reboot. Run the machine for a while and let me know if you get any BSOD's.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
When I try to run that query command the command prompt appears on the screen for less than half a second and then disappears again. I don't have any time to read text thats in the window (if there is any at all). Does this mean the drive isn't dirty?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No...it means the command session is closing. It would tell you if it was dirty or not dirty. We'll try this again later.

How has it run without the startup items loaded? Any BSOD's?