Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is called a dirty bit and can be reset by doing the following:

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type chkdsk /f /r e: and press Enter

You may be told the drive is busy and asked if you want to schedule this to run on the next boot...type Y and press Enter

Type exit and press Enter to close the command session.

Reboot and let this operation complete...it will take a while.

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Thanks for your help with the drive.

Ok I got a blue screen. I can't be absolutely sure which startup items I have checked off but based on the way I msconfig looks after booting up this time and what I remember; I had NvCpl, dumprep 0-k, and DC++ enabled. I didn't start any of the programs that weren't checked off after the computer finished starting up either. The only other program I was using was Winamp for music. The blue screen occurred the instant I tried to open MS Word to view a text document.
Posted Image

Also, can anybody give me a solid opinion on CompUSA's in-store service centers? Or maybe the Geek Squad?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Another blue screen, same conditions as last time except I was watching a movie with VLC rather than listening to music with Winamp.

Posted Image

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Woohoo another one! This time no Winamp or VLC. But the three startup items turned on were NvCpl, ctfmon, and DC++. I had left the room for a while, came back, exited the screensaver, and the moment I tried to start Firefox... CRASH.

Posted Image

The reason I have those three turned on is because NvCpl and ctfmon turn themselves on.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the most recent version of video drivers installed?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Yup, ver. 93.71

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I may be barking up the wrong tree, but this is starting to smell like video card...or it's drivers. If you still have the older drivers, try rolling back to them and see it the machine is a little more stable.

Have you run any apps like SpeedFan or Everest to see if they report the video card's temperature?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I've never heard of either of those programs but I'll look into installing one of them. Hopefully one of them has an option to create a log file so I can check it after a crash.

I'll try to find an archive of old drivers somewhere. Any suggestions on which ones to get?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Oh my [bleep]. :whistling:
Posted Image
Please tell me this is probably just a program error.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmmm....127*C might be a tad warm... :whistling:

The LM75 chips are typically used to monitor the video card temps. Do you have the Nvidia Control Panel installed? It should have a temperature monitor on it that you can check to verify SpeedFan's readings. SpeedFan usually will just give nothing rather than report a high temp, though.

Check the fan on the video card. Is it spinning as it should be? Is the cooler filled with dust?

Try turning down the hardware acceleration in the Display Properties. Adjust the slider to half and see if the stability improves...this setting will generate less heat, too.

I kinda think we're onto the problem... :blink:

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Yup the vid cards fan is spinning normally and theres no dust buildup in the cooler. Nvidia control panel says my card is idling at 47* C.
I turned down video acceleration by half.
So the reading of 127* C is wrong? *phew*
BTW I'm now running video driver version 84.21

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 06 February 2007 - 06:29 PM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Got this while idling (still running just NvCpl, ctfmon, and DC++)
Posted Image

Got this while trying to post on here and while viewing this and while running the startup items mentioned above.
Posted Image

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I didn't get a blue screen but instead my computer restarted randomly while startup items NvCpl, ctfmon, & DC++ turned on. Also was surfing the net and listening to music.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Stop NvCpl and run for a bit. Let me know what happens.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I turned off NvCpl like you said.
Was listening to music (running startup items ctfmon and DC++) with WMP 11 and surfing some interweb, when I got these:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 07 February 2007 - 11:34 PM.