Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card and PSU Problems

• Please log in to reply

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Motherboard is an MSI RS480M2 Socket 939 (ATI 200P chipset)
Graphics card MSI NX6600GT VT2D128E
Athon XP64 3.0 GHz (1.7Ghz) at the stated speed
2 x 256Mb Aries PC3200 Value Ram
1 x 80Gb IBM/Hitachi IDE(PATA) System drive
1 x 120Gb IBM/hitachi IDE (PATA) games, storage etc drive
Sony DW-30 DVD RW IDE (PATA) drive
Hiper HPU-3S350 - power supply - 350 Watt Th eproblem in question
Standard MS Mouse and keyboard (PS2)
1 WACOM Graphire tablet (PS2)

Windows XP Home (SP2.0) updated with all critical updates to last week except Explorer 7.0
Norton Anti-Virus all updated
Zonelabs Firewall
Until recently Windows Defender
Windows Washer
SpyBot
Adaware

Just got bumped out of JO with the Graphics card getting stuck (Image frozen swathes of meaningless colours and game sound running) so ran Speedfan to see if the card was the problem.

Somethings burning up and see all the voltages look crazy, anybody have a problem like this?

Remote 1 and Remote2 looks like the ATI bus rather than the Graphics card temperatures. This is an MSI board but the MS monitor doesn't work on it. It looks like the PSU is toast but this is the machine I'm working on now, there's no sign of heat from it at all, any ideas what's causing the glitching? Is my GPU toast too?

Hope that this is enough info. It's a work day tomorrow and I'm in the UK so there may be a lag between responses. Bear with me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by VeedeeBee, 16 December 2006 - 02:23 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I really don't know much about this problem, but i have notified one of our trusted tech's that is interested in looking into it.

SRX660

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks SRX660,

Please forgive me if it takes a while to respond as I'll be at work most of tomorrow and it's late now.

If the trusted tech needs more information, just list it I'll try to get more. The closest problem in terms of screen output when the computer freezes is illyism's problem of 5th December 06 on this board. (His second picture on Battlefield II looks like what I get on Novalogic Joint Operations) but I don't get a stop error and the computer doesn't reboot. Incidentally remote 2 is showing 127 degrees Centigrade at the moment.

Regards

Victor

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Is this the first time you've seen an issue like this? I've been making a study of issues between nVidia boards and ATI cards.

As to the root of the problem, grab Everest http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html and check the Sensor area in there, it should have things labeled a lot better than speedfan, and narrow things down.

Don't get me wrong, speedfan tends to be accurate, but confusing.

Edited by Kurenai, 10 December 2006 - 06:32 PM.

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks Kurenai,

No, wouldn't you know it, bought the system in August 2005, so out of warranty now. Except for a non operating DVD writer (exchanged in warranty, it's workedwithout a glitch till very recently).

I'm at work and I'll download Everest when I get home 18:00 GMT, I'll try to post about 22:00 GMT but the system is now flakey (on off screen in You Tube, it's more unstable than before). I've got SiSoft SANDRA on the machine too is this useful?

Over the past two or three weeks it's been freezing on Star Wars Lego II (it's from my Sons Birthday in November). Otherwise the PSU has been flakey for about 2 months (won't come on after booting off).

Thanks for your help

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Sandra works too, but I'm not familiar with it, and I remember having some odd issues with it.

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi, I've downloaded Everest and saved a hardware report but the computer is so buggy (choppy screen refresh ( 0.2 FPS))that I only managed to save the text fle but not extract it to a data stick.

Tell me which report you want me to run, I'll leave the computer to cool for a while and retry.

This is from my laptop.

Regards

Victor

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Here's some of the Everest data I got off the very bad (flickering system), will this help?

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 05/13/2005-RX480-SB400-6A666M4DC-00
Motherboard Name MSI RS480M2/RS482M2/RX480M2/RX482M2 (MS-7093)

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type AMD Hammer
Real Clock199 MHz
Effective Clock199 MHz
HyperTransport Clock994 MHz

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type Dual DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 128-bit
Real Clock199 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock398 MHz
Bandwidth 6366 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info:
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 939
Expansion Slots3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16
RAM Slots 4 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset RS48x/RX48x

Sensor Properties:

Sensor Type SMSC LPC47M192/997 (SMBus 2Dh)
GPU Sensor Type National LM89 (NV-I2C 4Ch)

Motherboard Name MSI MS-7093

Temperatures:

Motherboard 40 °C (104 °F)
CPU 52 °C (126 °F)
GPU 49 °C (120 °F)
GPU Ambient 40 °C (104 °F)
IBM IC35L120AVV207-1 41 °C (106 °F)
Maxtor 6Y080L0 36 °C (97 °F)

Cooling Fans:

CPU 1336 RPM

Voltage Values:

Debug Info F FF FF FF FF 00 FF 00 FF
Debug Info T C5 34 28 79
Debug Info V 00 00 00 00 90

Graphics Processor Properties:

[ NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT ]

Video Adapter Properties:
Device Description NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
Adapter String GeForce 6600 GT
BIOS String Version 5.43.02.16.00
Chip Type GeForce 6600 GT
DAC Type Integrated RAMDAC
Installed Drivers nv4_disp (6.14.10.7189 - nVIDIA ForceWare 71.89)
Memory Size 128 MB

Video Adapter Manufacturer:
Company Name NVIDIA Corporation
Product Information http://www.nvidia.co...p?PAGE=products
Driver Downloadhttp://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT PCI-E
GPU Code Name NV43GT
PCI Device10DE / 0140
Transistors 143 million
Process Technology 0.11u
Die Size 150 mm2
Bus Type PCI Express x16 @ x16
Memory Size 128 MB
GPU Clock 299 MHz
RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz
Pixel Pipelines8
TMU Per Pipeline 1
Vertex Shaders 3 (v3.0)
Pixel Shaders 1 (v3.0)
DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v9.0c
Pixel Fillrate 2392 MPixel/s
Texel Fillrate 2392 MTexel/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type GDDR3
Bus Width 128-bit
Real Clock501 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock1002 MHz
Bandwidth 15.7 GB/s

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Help Please I've now replaced the PSU with a Hiper 580 R and the machine boots on okay. GtG seem to have lost interest as I didn't get any response from Kurenai about what readings he wanted from Everest. the machine now comes on really easily but as it boots, there are red and blue specks arount the XP logo, once its in, the screen goes flakey and switches on and off until it's too unstable to keep on. I'm at a loss as to what to replace next and it's kind of frustrating just before Christmas to try to get the parts, etc. to do the repairs. I'm tempted just to gut the machine and replace it with a new CPU, MB, memory and GPU but that is a really expensive option.

Anybody?

How do I test if its the GPU or the MB that's gone flakey.

Regards

Victor :whistling: :blink:

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi there,

This sounds like a GPU problem to me is this when it has been turned on from cold - it's not overheating?

Advertisements

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yep within 10 minutes no 3D load, just windows screens, oddly also some of the windows XP icons don't appear on the desktop till the whole screen refreshes. It goes black for 1 or 2 seconds as you change programmes. Windows task manager shows 100% on the GPU. The screen sometimes flashes and goes black then comes on again.

The system otherwise wasn't reporting anything. On Speedfan, the GPU temperature was in the 40's but Remote 2 (see the earlier post was reporting 105C) not possible as the machine was on for about 2 mins by then.

I can take the MSI 6600GT out but have no other PCI-X card to put in.

Regards

Victor

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
UPDATE I've been on in safemode and been able to retrieve my wife's homework for Xmas and it ran quite stabley on VGA mode with none of the glitches I mentioned before, should I try reloading the GPU drivers in safe mode just in case that helps?

Regards

Victor

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Started in Safemode erased MSI Nividia Drivers installed latest ones as below,

Installed Drivers nv4_disp (6.14.10.7189 - nVIDIA ForceWare 71.89)
Installed Drivers nv4_disp (6.14.10.8212 - nVIDIA ForceWare 82.12)

the system is far less twitchy then it was before but I daren't try to run a game. The system also seems slower but the Everest sensors report is as below.

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type SMSC LPC47M192/997 (SMBus 2Dh)
GPU Sensor Type National LM89 (NV-I2C 4Ch)
Motherboard Name MSI MS-7093

Temperatures:
Motherboard 38 °C (100 °F)
CPU 51 °C (124 °F)
GPU 43 °C (109 °F)
GPU Ambient 35 °C (95 °F)
IBM IC35L120AVV207-1 40 °C (104 °F)
Maxtor 6Y080L0 34 °C (93 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 1350 RPM

Voltage Values:
Debug Info F FF FF FF FF 00 FF 00 FF
Debug Info T C5 33 26 76
Debug Info V 00 00 00 00 90

PS I am writing this from the stricken machine, so far so good. I've even managed to salvage some vital info using the CD-RW.

Regards

Victor :blink: :whistling:

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Sorry about that, RL reared its ugly head, and limited the time I had available for g2g for a couple days.
The most stable drivers for your card are here:
http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_84.21.html
The newest drivers for your card are here:
http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_93.71.html

Temps look good. Where there any voltage listings in Everest, like 12v, 5v, or 3.3v? And what happens if you run a 3d app at the current state?

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks Kurenai,

about to go out for a few hours, I should have read your first reply about the sensor area, the newer MSi drivers have stabilised the system and I was able to teeter around in 2D windows and on the internet. I will try the later drivers that you recommend but I noticed red spots against anything in black and that is a sure sign of damage to the VGA card. (?????) The new Hiper 580 W PSU is quite nice and the system runs strongly enough.

I cannot run 3D though and I'm looking at a 6600 GT replacement or a 7600GS or GT but a bit of a bummer before Xmas. Would you recommend an ATi card to avoid these driver conflicts that you are researching.

If you are in the UK I'll be back before 8pm, just need to get time on the system if Mrs wants to do work, there we go RL getting in the way.

I still have Everest on the system but am working on the laptop which is in the way of everthing so that my wife can do her work.