Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think PC Has A Virus, but Norton is out of date

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I used to have Zone Alarms Internet Security Suite 2006, but lost the key when i had to re-install my computer so I was thinking of just buying another key. I think it worked best, but is there any program better? I currently have Norton but the virus definations have been out of date for a month, I don't wana buy an update if its nothing compared to ZA. Thanks

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
For a Antivirus for Free, go with AVG Free.

and get Sygate for a firewall.

There both free and they work really well.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If you think your PC has a virus, don't buy protection over the internet or anything...

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
Hi :blink:

From my experience, if you want free and good antivirus, download and install avast! 4 Home Edition, its better, free and awesome antivirus, easy to use, updates every day automatically and have many other features that you can find only in the payed antivirus versions. Click Here for more info on avast! Check this link also
How to Install, Configure, and Use Avast Antivirus
Here are some reviews for avast! PC Magazine and this review

If you want firewall check this links, and choose what you think is best for you
http://www.firewalll....com/index.html
http://www.matousec....sts-results.php

EDIT: and follow the instructions from Stormknight6, if you have a reason to believe that your pc has a virus!
Good luck! :whistling:

Edited by SNOWHITE, 10 December 2006 - 08:23 PM.

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I cant say Avast isnt good cause Im usin it now... but it still hav some weakness, it failed to detect some trojan kinda trojan. I even wondered why. But its different with AVG Antivirus though. Still AVG aint that good, too T.T The on access thing aint that good as avast (well, i'd downloaded some kinda trojan or sumthin like dat[accidently] and Avast responded instead of AVG (i'd let both on though it might crush my com). Hmm btw both were the free ver. though.

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
Hi simon_shaft :blink:

Are you saying that you have two antivirus programs running on your computer :whistling: I am not sure that i understand you well, but if you have two antivirus programs, better uninstall one of them, and never use two at the same time, they will conflict over the infection and leave your system unprotected.
Avast detects trojans and other malwares too. If you want to see the differences between the payed and the free version of avast, check this link http://www.avast.com...rsion_comp.html

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Thanks Snowhite for considering Avast, it detected 3 Trojans that AVG did not

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Charliee03, I would highly suggest visiting the Malware forum... There might be other traces that we're not detecting using standard protection... Just post it... it's quick and painless, and you'll have your results within a few days.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
[font=Georgia]I'm with Snow white on this one! Avast! 4.7 is the best by far.