Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Failure

• Please log in to reply

sid645

sid645

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I just got a new motherboard and cpu. AOpen AK86-L Motherboard Socket 754, AMD Sempron 3100+...When i got the processor some of the pins were bent, so i straightened them and fit the cpu into the socket. all the pins slid in. when i hooked up everything, jumpers included, i flicked the switch, and nothing happened. EXCEPT my USB mouse came on and the motherboard LED power indicator came on. I have a Powmax Power supply 400W. I switched it with another one....and it still didnt work. no fans came on...nothing except the two things above.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Make sure all jumpers on the mobo are set correctly
Clear the cmos by unpluging the computer and moving the cmos jumper from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3, wait 5 minutes then move back to pins 1&2

Make sure you move the cmos jumper back to pins 1&2

Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the correct header on the mobo.

Try these if nogo post back

Rick

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
still doesnt work

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Do you have a case speaker installed and are you getting any beeps?

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
no beeps. the power supply fan doesnt even turn on

it worked fine before

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Remove the psu, plug into wall outlet and on the 20 pin connecter touch the green and any black wirer this should turn the psu on.

This does not mean it is good/adequate but at least we will see if it turns on

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
What psu's are you using, as for that powmax throw it that is junk.

You need a psu with at least 20 amps on the 12v rail for a 754 system this will be listed on the decal on the psu.

I recomend a Antec true 430w or 480w.

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
it doesnt work....but until i get another power supply what are my other options

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well without a good psu you can't do much, take my advice and get a good name brand psu, in general if you don't pay at least $70.00 US then you are getting a generic and these are the root of all problems.

I am not saying this will absolutely solve your problem because of those bent pins but it might and you must start with a new psu before we can do anything else or we would just be guessing.

Post back when you get a psu and we can move on from there.

Rick

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I need to know whether to return my mobo and cpu or not...i dont have that much time left

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If your Semperon is a retail cpu it has a 3 year warrenty from AMD you could rma it thru them.

I don't know the warrenty of your mobo but it should be at least a year.

I hate to recommend even trying the powmax again,heres why, I have 3 of these psu's of varing wattages that came with cases and as with any psu I bench test it before install. I do this out of the case, I touch the green wirer and any black wirer on the 20 pin connecter with a paper clip to turn it on. Then using a digital volt meter I check the 12v 3.3v and 5v rails.
Keep in mind that the yellow wirer should read 12v but can be plus or minus 5% and still be within spec. This means it could read anywhere from 11.4v to 12.6v and still be within spec.

With these 3 powmax psu's the yellow 12v read anywhere from 11.9v to 12.1v and this is fine but I then put them under load and by connecting 4 case fans and retest, they all drop to 11.4 or below.

When I do the same test with a quallity psu they never drop below 11.9v and most stay above 12v

Now considering all the drives and cpu run off the 12v rail I hate to think how much lower that 11.4v would go and what the results would be.

Just trying to explain the importance of a good psu or need to test when things won't power up.

Rick

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok i'm going to get a new psu....but what brand besides antec....i want a $40 psu or lower

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am sorry I can't recommend any in that price range

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok...You've convinced me. I'm gonna buy either an Antec or an Ultra power supply.

I still want to make sure that everything else in my system isnt the problem.

1. Motherboard - probably not the problem, since i get a red LED when i power on.
2. CPU - maybe, since the 3 or 4 pins were bent. But i bent them back and put the CPU into the socket and took it back out, and all the pins were straight.
3. Power Supply - Works, but probably doesnt meet your requirements :tazz:
4. The USB ports must work since it is the only other thing that comes on (mouse)

One question: Do I have to worry any about the previously bent pins???

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm gonna keep my mobo and cpu...so i hope its the psu's fault and not the cpu