Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Failure

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I don't know about the bent pins it all depends you just have to try it. Bent pins suggest to me that the cpu was installed before and returned but I don't know that for sure and I could be wrong, if I recieved one I would return it.

3. Power Supply - Works, but probably doesnt meet your requirements

Please understand these are not my requirements I only state what the board and cpu manufacturer requires and recommend products I am sure meet these requirements.

Rick

Advertisements

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
like dobys excellent advice i too would be concerned with bent pins, if you try and straighten then you have to be careful to earth yourself AND the thing youre trying to straighten them with.one slight bit of static could be catastropic ....my opinion is to take the thing back and complain greatly til they gave you a new one or refunded you.

good luck :tazz:

michael

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm gonna send back the cpu.

Besides....i just ordered an Ultra 500W PSU, nForce 4 SLI mobo, w/ a Athlon 64 3500+, another 512 stick of ram, an 17'" LCD monitor, and a GeForce 6600 graphics card...so if i have any problems w/ this 1 i'll tell you Rick. i was also wandering is this system i just bought considered to be a gaming system....thats my main thing i do on my computer

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes that should make a very good gamer for years to come.
keep us posted how it goes

Rick

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I forgot to mention that the graphics card i ordered is a PCI express card....so will it perform as good as the higher end cards? (like the 6800GT, Radeon X800)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Pci express in general is better, how it compares to those other cards I ain't sure but I know it will play all the latest games very well.

I'll see if I can find a link that compares and post it tomarrow

Rick

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
the graphics card is a turbo edition by the way....256Mb, GeForceFX maybe...

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
All my new computer parts come in on the 6th..wednsday...so I will tty then when i get it running.

-John

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
OK im not sure but some times u can get a heatsink and fan combo that dont like certain sockets on a motherboard regardless of them being for each other this is just and idea but it would explain why he gets the lights on the mobo but it wont actually turn on, may even be incorrectly seated id try reseating it and also i had a customar that had a really funny cpu fan and the only way i could make it work was to mount it what i would call back to front so look at all options and recheck the specific booklet for your cpu, also knowing how delicate processors can be id not accept 1 that isnt of perfect physical apperiance, hope this helps.

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Doby, you know you and me should test and benchmark our systems. See who has the advantages, since I've heard the 3400+ is just about the same as the 3500+, but urs is 754 and mine is 939. Maybe we should both use 3dMark and see.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea that would be interesting, I know of a better cpu bench test a lot of other guys are using I'll find the link and post it when you get up and running.

I know my cpu will keep up with yours and maybe even beat it at some benches but if you run dual channel ram you will blow me away with any kind of ram bench.

Rick

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I got my new parts in...got it together and booted up. My hard drive wouldnt load windows xp...I had to install another windows xp on a new partition. Since it works on the new Windows xp i installed...it must be a problem with the OS, not the Hard drive.

Anyways i installed to drivers and everything, and installed C&C Generals. It runs perfectly, no problems or lag.

101010hacker

101010hacker

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Your Power has been sock man . Go buy another 1 . Cost 70 - 100 .

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea anytime you install a new mobo of a different model number it is best to reinstall the os, to many driver issues if you don't

Anyhow glad you got it running

Rick

sid645

sid645

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
no...i havent go it running yet...not my old windows xp....just my new one...all my stuff is on the old one and i want it back