Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant Read

• Please log in to reply

zestron

zestron

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
For some reason after repairing windows, it wont read my two USB ports in the front or the 7-in-1 reader thing I have. Help me!

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
In the Device Manager (Start -> Run, devmgmt.msc) is it showing anything under Other Devices, or Unknown Devices, or anything with a ? or an !?

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

In the Device Manager (Start -> Run, devmgmt.msc) is it showing anything under Other Devices, or Unknown Devices, or anything with a ? or an !?

Nope.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
So when you plug a USB device into the front ports, Windows shows no signs that anything was plugged in, and the device shows no sign that it has power?

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
The light on my USB flash dirve lights up and windows makes a sound but I cant access it. I would take a video if you really need it, have to use my dads laptop.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
There are three different Windows tones when a new USB device is encountered, and they're all a multiple tone series. One low tone, and one rising, means a new USB device has been encountered and recognized. Three staccato low tones means a new USB device has been encountered, but not recognized, or has errors. One high tone, and one low tone (exact reverse of the first) means that a USB device has been removed from the system.

Which are you getting?

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I know its the one that mean its being accepted.
(lower) to (higher)
(Do Du)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
just curious,
- what was the reason for your repairing windows,
- do you have a copy of the USB port drivers so as to uninstall/reinstall them

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I repaired windows because I couldn't get Steam working. I don't think I have drivers, would they be on the net? Shouldn't they work anyways?

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I really need help

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
the drivers come with the motherboard normally so if your mobo's cd is still there the drivers should be on that cd too, if not the mobo maker's site is where you can download them btw were you saying that although you downloaded the latest java you could not get the flv. files to stream properly

Edited by fleamailman, 12 December 2006 - 05:43 PM.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I checked out the MSI website and there are no drivers. Why whould I need a driver for simple USB ports and 7 in 1 things anyways?!

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Well, a driver is something Windows needs to properly load hardware. As USB ports, and to a higher degree, 7in1 media readers, are hardware, Windows requires drivers to see them.

What all devices have you tried in the USB ports, aside from the flash drive?

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
My MP3, camera.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I really need to be able to use these things. Its a need for my computer or I might have to re-install windows. I've installed the driver CD's that came with my computer.
My MP3 is recharging it's battery on m computer right now, but I cant detect it with my program for adding my songs to it.
This is BS, so much stress.