Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

retrieving deleted files

• Please log in to reply

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
hi!
how do you retrieve files that have been deleted from your computer? Normal delete (sent to recycle bin, then deleted from there)
also, is there a 100% sure way to delete files?
thanks!

Advertisements

aguillar

aguillar

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
There are plenty of 3rd party tools for either task - search for keyword "undelete" for file retrieval and keywords "destructively delete" for 100% deletion

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I think if you delete them from the recycling bin, than there gone forever.

If I am wrong, feel free to post.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
there are programs to help you get deleted files

but let me warn you running programs like that

will retrieve every deleted file so if youve been deleting files for a number of years

they will return including any bad files you download the program here

http://www.snapfiles...estoration.html

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
another one, I am just sharing here

use tune up undelete from file recovery and destruction
http://www.tune-up.com
(use the 30 trial version later uninstall it)

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
to post #4 by rushin1nd:
so...wut ur saying is that by using that program...it will retrieve files deleted by my virus scanner or spyware scanner and cause potential damage to my computer?

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
File recovery is mostly dependent upon the degree to which the file has been overwritten by subsequent saves and deletions... Data, is said to "always" be there, but in varying degrees, of a state of recovery.

Consider that all data is embedded at the molecular level on the ionized particles on the disk drive...every input, realigns the configuration of the ionized data bits, expressed as 0 or 1 [binary]...the more you lay down data on the disk, the more re-alignment that goes on and the more "confused" the trail to recovery becomes...that's why they say, not to recover to the disk on which the undelete function is being attempted, you are just muddying the waters and making recovery more difficult...if not impossible at the DIY level of recovery.

Serious recovery can be done at the forensic level, but it is expensive and time consuming...costing hundreds of dollars and taking days to accomplish...

Bottom line, yes, there are tons of "recovery" progs...which is the best?...depends on the degree of recovery you want...which is the cheapest and the best... Well, as the old expression goes...

I can do it cheap, fast or efficently...
If I do it cheap, it may be fast, but it won't be efficent...
If I do it fast, it won't be cheap...and certainly won't be efficient...
If I do it efficiently, it won't be cheap or fast...
So, to do it properly, it won't be cheap, and it won't be fast, but it will be efficient!
Your choice!

Take your pick...

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
it wont recover files from antivirus programs or anti-spyware progams those types of files have been encrypted and decoded by the antivirus programs so no harm there

just meant that if you came accross a file or even a unwanted picture that you may have deleted the program will retrieve it

so files that are in quarratine stay in quarrantine

otherwise hackers would use these programs to do there malicious work for them

as for 100% delete well not sure about unlocker maybe it locks them up for good maybe someone has some insight on unlocker
its been use for malware so it must lock them up good

Edited by rushin1nd, 13 December 2006 - 01:02 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Are you looking for progs? Google will cough up a pile of them.

NB: YOU MUST SAVE TO A DIFFERENT DISK DRIVE...OR STICK DRIVE [that's what I call them...they plug into a USB port...and are quite handy for this sort of thing]

I use the following reguarly..

1. Any Reader
2. Bad CD Repair Pro
3. BadCopy Pro <pretty impressive
4. Dead Disk Doctor
5. Floppy Bad Sector Repair
6. Object Rescue Pro
7. Power Data Recovery
8. Get Back Data for NTFS

Edited by b1caez01, 15 December 2006 - 08:48 AM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
SORRY...

Edited by b1caez01, 14 December 2006 - 03:28 AM.

Advertisements

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
thanks!

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
How are things now...what was the solution?

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
i got tune-up utilities...it can retrieve files deleted....but the names of the files may be messed up...it can also delete...but im not sure if it is retrievable if it is deleted by tune-up utilities...it says its a shredder, and you cannot retrieve the file anymore...

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Download and try as many of these that will provide a trial run...some will recoup just a small number then not function, but they will point out those that can be saved. If you find one that works well...load it use it to its limits, then uninstall it and do a complete registry sweep of any of the files that were part of its setup. Reload it again. If it does not work, clean it out again, and then download another new copy...sometimes the files get time-stamped as soon as you have them in the barn...so we just have to work around that... :whistling:

1. Any Reader
2. Bad CD Repair Pro
3. BadCopy Pro <pretty impressive
4. Dead Disk Doctor
5. Floppy Bad Sector Repair
6. Object Rescue Pro
7. Power Data Recovery
8. Get Back Data for NTFS

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
im not sure ill need those...because im pretty satisfied with my TuneUp Utilities...
but thanks anyways~