Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Upgrade Question - Help

• Please log in to reply

UBetData

UBetData

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi.

This is in reference to my laptop.

I have a i855GM/GME motherboard.

I'm interested in upgrading my CPU to Intel Pentium M 730 1.6 GHz processor (Mobile). Will my motherboard accept this processor?

Thank you for your time in advance.

Regards,

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Your chipset is for 400 bus processors. there are 1.7, 2.0, and 2.1 higher processors you can get but you will need to check the motherboard bios as to what processors you can run. Look at the manufacturers websie for this information. You will not be able to run 533 bus processors unless your bios will run at the 533 speed.

According to the intel website only the 852GMV and 852GME chipsets can run the 533 bus speed.

SRX660

UBetData

UBetData

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Your chipset is for 400 bus processors. there are 1.7, 2.0, and 2.1 higher processors you can get but you will need to check the motherboard bios as to what processors you can run. Look at the manufacturers websie for this information. You will not be able to run 533 bus processors unless your bios will run at the 533 speed.

According to the intel website only the 852GMV and 852GME chipsets can run the 533 bus speed.

SRX660

SR, Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

Regards,