Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No longer creating thumbnails,reg key missing?(WXP)

• Please log in to reply

Sairane

Sairane

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hiya, im going to start by saying thanks alot in advance for any help as I've run out of idea's. :whistling:

A few days ago my pc mysteriously stopped making new thumbnail pictures for video files (.avi), and instead i just have a picture of the programme used to open the file (for example the winamp icon). Thumbs for image files (for example .jpg) still work though. After a reboot the problem was still there so i had a deeper look into it, and discovered that the thumbs.db file was not updating when i moved a new file into a folder, and thumbs.db was not being created even if i made a new folder and added files to it.(check that on different hard drives just incase it was a problem with just one of them)

I have tried tuning on and off 'do not cache thumbnails', and switching between views. 'refresh thumbnail' is not working either.

After some extensive google, microsoft knowlege base and a few tech/support forums including here searching, the only 'fix' for my problem i managed to find was running 'regsvr32 shimgvw.dll' but that didnt help :-/

I've managed to rule out the possibility of malwear, and am now thinking that im missing a registry key that is suppost to deal with thumbnails... however my pc knowlege stops there and i have no idea what i might be missing :blink:

Again, thanks in advance ^_^

Operating system is Windows XP - Pro

Edit - Not sure if it was clear in the post but thumbnails created before this strange problem occured still load, but new files wont. For example if i were to move 'RandomOld.avi' from its original folder(with a working thumbnail) to a new folder, it wouldnt have a thumbnail picture.. but if i moved it back the thumbnail would appear as normal.

Edited by Sairane, 11 December 2006 - 09:12 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Sairane!

Please try the following file and let me know if it solves your issue.

http://www.kellys-ko...p_thumbnail.exe

Fenor

Sairane

Sairane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hiya Fenor and thanks for the help ^_^

Tried it, and it unfortunately it didnt make a differance :whistling:
Any other idea's?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Did you reboot after running the file?

Fenor

Sairane

Sairane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yup i rebooted, checked to see if it helped (moved files, created a new folder and moved a few files in and out etc)
Rebooted again just incase, checked again.
Tried the tool again then repeated.

Tested it properly but no change :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I can find nothing on that subject. If the avi files play fine then I really wouldn't worry about it. Previewing avi files is pretty pointless anyways.

Fenor