Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Emergency - My External HD is switching drives!

• Please log in to reply

Giggleheimer

Giggleheimer

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi,

I have a 160GB MyBook External Hard Drive used for storing music mostly, using a Windows XP PC.
The Hard Drive is (up to now!) under the F: Drive, but while using iTunes, I noticed that none of the songs could be located.

On opening My Computer, I saw the reason why, the Hard Drive is now under the I: drive, meaning that ALL my files/songs/programs on the HD have been moved!!
All other drives are accounted for as normal except for F, which seems to have disappeared somewhat.

I thought someone may have been messing around with the USB connections at the back, so I tried putting the HD into another spare USB drive, but the External HD still comes up under I:.

Can anyone tell me how to revert it back to the F Drive? Because iTunes and all my programs have been rendered pretty much useless since the files can't be found, and I do NOT want to have to start over!

Thanks!

:whistling:

Edited by Giggleheimer, 11 December 2006 - 11:03 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you might want to try this............

* You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.
* A computer can use up to 26 drive letters. Drive letters A and B are reserved for floppy disk drives, but you can assign these letters to removable drives if the computer does not have a floppy disk drive. Hard disk drives in the computer receive letters C through Z, while mapped network drives are assigned drive letters in reverse order (Z through B).
* You cannot change the drive letter of the system volume or boot volume.
* An error message may appear when you attempt to assign a letter to a volume, CD-ROM drive, or other removable media device, possibly because it is in use by a program in the system. If this happens, close the program accessing the volume or drive, and then click the Change Drive Letter and Paths command again.
* Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the static assignment of drive letters on volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives. This means that you permanently assign a drive letter to a specific partition, volume, or CD-ROM drive. When you add a new hard disk to an existing computer system, it will not affect statically assigned drive letters.
* You can also mount a local drive at an empty folder on an NTFS volume using a drive path instead of a drive letter.

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools... then double-click Computer Management.... then Storage....then... Disk Management

Right-click a partition, logical drive, or volume, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.

Do one of the following:
To assign a drive letter, click Add, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.

* To modify a drive letter, click it, click Change, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
* To remove a drive letter, click it, and then click Remove.

Important

* Be careful when making drive-letter assignments because many MS-DOS and Windows programs make references to a specific drive letter. For example, the path environment variable shows specific drive letters in conjunction with program names.

Giggleheimer

Giggleheimer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
All is right with the world again!

Thank You!

:whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff