Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible modem problems?

• Please log in to reply

pomp

pomp

the man

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Hello.

I have a WebStar DPX100 Cable Modem. Recently, the PC light on the modem has been blinking kind of rapidly. I have never remembered it being like that, I've always thought it's been solid. I found a site that says what that state means:

PC - Illuminates solid green to indicate that an Ethernet/USB carrier is present and blinks to indicate that Ethernet/USB data is being transferred between the PC and the cable modem

This is my modem

Well, I have always remembered the PC light being solid. And recently, when I think the blinking PC light started, I have a Logitech G7 Laser mouse, and that it has a USB Receiver which is 2.4GHz and the mouse cursor has constantly been freezing, it gets very annoying. So I think the blinking PC light and the issue with the mouse might be related.

Time for a new cable modem maybe? I've had this one for a long time.

Hope someone can help!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm betting the laser mouse and the modem are fighting...they are both 2.4 Ghz ...try using a PS/2 or usb mouse to confirm my suspicion...

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
hmm..I bought the laser mouse 14 months ago and I had this cable modem at the time .. and it's been working fine, until like 2 weeks ago..So this is something they are doing now? Yet it's been okay for like 13 months? lol...

I'm actually using my Logitech Cordless Optical mouse that I had before the laser mouse and it is not freezing at all ...

so that should confirm it?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...you might try getting as much distance between them as you can...

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
happyrck, what do you mean? :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I'm actually using my Logitech Cordless Optical mouse that I had before the laser mouse and it is not freezing at all ...
so that should confirm it?

[]yep.....
you said..."have a Logitech G7 Laser mouse, and that it has a USB Receiver which is 2.4GHz and the mouse cursor has constantly been freezing

since you can use a different cordless mouse then we know it's the laser mouse causing the problem

Edited by happyrck, 12 December 2006 - 07:33 AM.

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
O great! hmmm..

The laser mouse was not freezing when I was using it on another computer ...

And what about the thing I explained with the PC light?!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

And what about the thing I explained with the PC light?!

could be a IRQ conflict...I'm not sure

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Have you tried the mouse USB reciever in a different USB port?