Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A disk error ocured! Please help

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I just tried doing a windows update and I was installing the new IE 7 and for some reason it was taking forever so i just turned my pc off by holding the power button down until it turned off. For some reason now when I turn the computer on it says "A Disk Error Occurred Pres Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart" everytime I press what it says it restarts and brings me right back to the same screen. I'm not really sure what is going on but any help would be really appreciated thank you.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi wadeb_21...

Try booting to the Safe Mode options screen by tapping the F8 key during the boot sequence. From the Safe Mode options, choose to start using the "Last known good configuration" option. Let me know it your machine is able to boot to Windows this way.

Do you have the XP installation cd?

wannabe1

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I tried tapping the F8 key and it doesn't take me to me to where I can boot from safe mode.
I do have the win XP disk. Is there anything else I can do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's kinda what I thought... :whistling:

Because this failure occurred during an installation process, there are few options available. However, the options that are available ususally work very well. The best way to go for you is the Repair Install. That will get you back to the way things were before you started the installation of IE7.

REPAIR your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Wannabe1, ok so I went to link you left in your last reply and started to do it however I got to the part where Windows Setup will find existing Windows XP installations and there isn't a repair option.
from the example from the link you left mine looks a little different instead of just one I have four to choose from and it looks like this

-: Partition1 [FAT] 39 MB (31 MB FREE)
C: PARTITION2 [UNKNOW] 73171 MB (73171 MB FREE)
E: PARTITION3 [FAT] 3075 MB (531 MB FREE)
UNPARTITIONED SPACE

I'm really not sure what to do since I don't have the Repair option is there anything else I can do so i can get my computer running again with all my data unharmed. Thank you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this the screen where you see that?
choose.png

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Yes that is the screen. Thats where is no repair option.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Which one is highlighted?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
What do you mean what one is hightlighted? I don't quite understand.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
The one thats highlighted when I first get to that screen is
-:Partition1 [FAT] 39MB (31 MB FREE)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nevermind...C: PARTITION2 [UNKNOW] 73171 MB (73171 MB FREE)...the problem is with the file system.

Press F3 to quit...then boot to the cd again.

This time, at the Welcome to Setup screen, press R for Recovery Console. What does it show in the next screen?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Ok so when I press "R" for the Recovery Console it takes me to a black screen that says
"The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery funtionality.
Type Exit to quit the Recovery Console and restart your computer"

Then right under that on a new line it has this

C:\>

I kinda looks like I'm supose to type something there. Do you have any idea what I do next?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ooooh...let's see if we can start a system restore.

Type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe at the command prompt, and then press "Enter".

Does System Restore open?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
So I typed in what you wanted me to and it says
"The Command is not recognized Type Help for a list of supported commands"
What should I do now?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Type chkdsk /r and press "Enter".

You should be told the volume is busy and asked if you want to schedule this to run on the next boot. Type Y and press "Enter".

Type exit and press "Enter" to restart.

If this runs, it will be a long check...do not disturb this, let it finish.

Let me know if this runs...

Edited by wannabe1, 11 December 2006 - 01:43 PM.