Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Problems Since IE7 install, MSXML Related?

• Please log in to reply

Mackey444

Mackey444

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I did breifly install IE7 back when it was a beta, and uninstalled it as I had a few problems (cant remember what)

Now IE7 came over as a Windows Update, I always think its a good idea to keep up to date with these so I installed it. All was fine for a few days. Then one of my family members reported they were having problems, yet all was fine on my log on. All the other family log ins were unable to display their emails, and had large chunks of pages missing in IE7. These always are Dynamic parts to a page, ie ASP pages, Moving images things like that. If you try and right click on the missing parts to see what the problem is you get a script error which you cant get rid of, clicking yes or no does nothing, so you have to task manager IE to get rid of it.
So I though IE7 isnt that great, so I will simply uninstall it and go back to 6. This seemed to fix things in the short term, they could view emails again and parts of the page returned, although some things were still not displaying properly.
Then further problems started to emerge which didnt seem to have anything to do with IE7 and suggest the problems are more system wide.

MSN will not work on other family members log on, this message is thrown up straight after clicking log in, it does not even try.
Posted Image

The scanner will not work
Posted Image
Posted Image

The computer help still gives the same sort of script errors that IE7 was throwing up.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling these things, no luck.

Now thats twice MSXML is mentioned in an error message, so I had a look at that. Looking at MSXML in my Add/Remove Programmes menu seemed to suggest it was installed to My temporary file directory, I thought this could be a reason why things were all still working on mine, so I uninstalled and reinstalled MSXML, still no luck.

REMEMBER EVERYTHING IS STILL FINE ON MY LOG IN, I think this is the key to these problems, I can still use MSN, the scanner and I never had any problems with IE7, is that not odd?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me :whistling:

Oh and Hi :blink:

Edited by Mackey444, 11 December 2006 - 12:19 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried system restore.....it can clear up some minor problems...might also try windows update if the restore does not work....IE 7 has been causing all kinds of problems for some people but not others...I suggest you use firefox...most people love it after using it...if you do decide to use it ..during the install it will ask if you want to import your IE favorites/bookmarks and start page so its pretty seamless transition to firefox...

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Mackey444

Mackey444

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yep Restore failed, and all MS Updates have been carried out.

I have been using firefox, but the main problem that is annoying is the MSN Messenger problem, I would like to get that working. I wouldnt mind if only IE was messed up, but its the fact it has effected other things.

One other thing of note that happened on our system is my sister stupidly installed Messenger Plus (thinking it was Microsoft product) WITH the Adware programme C2.lop, but I think I have that cleared off the system.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
im curious do you have any problems when you right click on a link

if you want to open one and then encountered a problem and needs to close

Mackey444

Mackey444

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I couldnt tell you, as we have gone back to IE6 (the other problems remain), as we need to be able to read emails on the run up to Xmas.
But when we had parts of the page missing, if you would try and right click you would then get an script error, which could not be exited from, you would then need to use task manager to shut it down.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how did you clear the lop infection...you might want to run by the malware removal section to be sure your clean..

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if it dont work go to this website

http://www.asksomeon...?showtopic=6501

Go to a DOS prompt and type in the following OR go to Start -> Run and then copy and paste each line below hitting <enter> after each one.

regsvr32 Dssenh.dll /s
regsvr32 Gpkcsp.dll /s
regsvr32 Slbcsp.dll /s
regsvr32 Sccbase.dll /s
regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s
regsvr32 Wintrust.dll /s
regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s
regsvr32 Rsaenh.dll /s
regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s
regsvr32 Cryptdlg.dll /s
regsvr32 Msxml3.dll /s

give this a try

my guess is your using msn hotmail so we will try to get that first
but you sure got alot of errors hope others can help

Edited by rushin1nd, 11 December 2006 - 04:47 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can also try IE tab ...as a workaround...it will open IE only sites...just click on the IE tab to switch rendering engines...

https://addons.mozil...g/firefox/1419/

Mackey444

Mackey444

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

im curious do you have any problems when you right click on a link

if you want to open one and then encountered a problem and needs to close

I have just been on one of the other family members log ins trying to fix and noticed this IS the case. Do you know what the problem is??? :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
reset your web settings
right-click my computer ... properties... advanced... go down to Error Reporting and click it .. tick the Disable error reporting... and uncheck... notify me when critical errors occur...
click apply... then press... Ok .. Restart your system ..

Edited by happyrck, 12 December 2006 - 02:51 PM.

Mackey444

Mackey444

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
(Edit)
Sorry just looking at a link from an above post which seems to have some similar stuff about MSXML3, im just going to try that first. :whistling:

Tried that, and no luck. What made me think its an offline problem, rather than a online problem, is the scanner errors, it has nothing to do with the net. I can log into MSN fine on my Computer Log In which is another thing.

I did the connection tests in MSN and it says my default Gateway appears to be offline. Now googling this problem directed me to another well known computing forum with someone else who had the same problem, and the answer he gave was flush the DNS (which I did) and do regsvr32 MSXML3.dll. The registering worked for him but on mine this fails on giving

DllRegisterServer in MSXML3.dll failed. return code was 0x80004005

Its gotta be something to do with MSXML hasnt it? Someone tell me if im off track, I dont even know what MSXML3 does.

Edited by Mackey444, 12 December 2006 - 03:55 PM.

Mackey444

Mackey444

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well after looking at a few forums (thanks for the link rushin) im pretty certian this is MSXML related, MSXML3 by the looks of it, found a few other people frustrated by the same problem, though I still have no soloution, I will have a good go tomorrow, so thanks for now. I might try uninstalling and reinstalling SP2, see if that does anything.

Heres the website showing other people with the problem. Good ol microsoft.
http://www.topxml.co...lease-help.aspx

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
the right click disabled im sure its malware of some sort but it comes from the toolbar so if you want a quick fix uninstall your tool bar

MSXML it seems to the problem with right click disabled

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
at the link you posted I found this...
I had the same problem. I found that an application I had installed had installed an earler version of msxml3.dll, msxml3r.dll and msxml3a.dll in it's own location. If you search your entire c:\ drive for msxml3.dll you will probably find another (earlier version) copy of those 3 dll's. I uninstalled the application and re-booted. Then went to Microsoft and re-installed the latest version of msxml3.dll which is currently up to Service Pack 7. There is a msxml3.msi file on Microsoft's site you can download. After running the msi file I re-booted and tried to regsvr32 the new dll but it still failed. However I went to Windows Update and it worked! I then re-installed the application that I thought had messed it up and it put those same older versions of those three dll's in it's own folder, but after re-booting and running that app and then going to Windows Update again everything still worked. I think that the SP7 version of msxml3.dll cannot be registered with regsvr32, but if you run the msi file it works correctly. I may be wrong about that, but I had the exact same problem being discussed here and now I'm fixed. I hope this helps everyone struggling with this error because I was really frustrated for 2 days trying to figure out why all of a sudden stuff that had been working was broken.

did you try this fix in bold yet
===============================================
more on MSXML...including the how to at the link below.....

Known issues with this security update
• Security update 927978 for MSXML 4.0, for MSXML 4.0 SP1, and for MSXML 4.0 SP2 does not support the complete removal of MSXML 4.0 because this version of MSXML is installed in side-by-side mode. To work around this issue, follow these steps:
1. Remove security update 927978 by using the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel.

the rest here....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927978

Edited by happyrck, 12 December 2006 - 05:58 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
another thing to try...

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image