Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Viewpoint Media Player

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Can anyone advise me what program this is I just noticed it on My Computer>Program Files and I also noticed it on Add/Remove Programs in attemtps to find Windows Media Player. WMP is not on Add/Remove Programs populated list, but this other program is.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Windows Media Player will be shown on the "Add/Remove Windows Components" screen of Add/Remove Programs.

As to Viewpoint, what I'm seeing on the web is that it is a browser plug-in, possibly installed when you hit a site that uses it for their custom content.

I got this off Viewpoint's website:
How did I get the Viewpoint Media Player on my computer?
Many well-known software vendors require the installation of the Viewpoint Media Player in order for you to view enhanced content as part of an application or user experience because of its powerful capacity to display cutting-edge graphical content. It is for that reason that the Viewpoint Media Player has come pre-installed on many new laptops and desktops sold in the U.S. in the past three years.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
It doesn't show up on desktop as shortcut, or taskbar or under all programs, so do I keep it, I am trying to slim down, hard drive is under resource-strain right now running with 9% free space.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Uninstall it.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Viewpoint Media player is known to have a case of malware in it... Uninstall it.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
waynf, is this resolved?