Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Lan Problem.. possibly Windows...

• Please log in to reply

Rollett

Rollett

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok im at a loss of words here.. i have been running My Xbox 360 over my second Ethernet port for a long time now... Other day when i restarted my PC i lost connection on it... So i go to my network places to check stuff out. (not a PC noob) And to my shock.. Only thing there is my connection to the Internet on Port 2 .. 1394 connection is gone and so is my Port 1 Connection.. (not even any icons).
Now i go in to Device manager and its there and working fine! ... Even showed up on Ipconfig in Cmd... just said network media disconnected.. i tweak around useing MS KB and now i finaly got it to show a Code 10 on the driver.. and it seems not to work anymore at all.. Doesnt even show in Ipconfig...

well if anyone can help me out ... i will be very happy i know im new here... but im not able to find any help any place else.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Error code 10 is "device failed to start". To start troubleshooting,

1. Is your NIC integrated on the motherboard or a card?

2. If a card, do you have an open slot to possibly move it to see to rule out the slot vs the card?

3. Are the drivers updated?

4. In Device Manager, does the NIC show up okay, or is there a yellow ? or red X over it?

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Its a Integrated Dual Port Lan on my Motherboard, Drivers are from most current Nvidia package.. its this mobo to be exact.

http://www.evga.com/...?...X&family=20

Should be a good link.
There is a Yellow ! by the port not functioning now.. after uninstalling and reinstalling the driver.

To be clear the Nvida Port is the one that stopped.. Lan 1not working Lan 2 Marvell Yukon works fine.

Oh yes.. other things i have tryed.. disabling in bio's... Booting in safe mode (they dont appear in safe mode either)

Edited by Rollett, 11 December 2006 - 04:48 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Bear with me - I'm going to get some other guys involved on this issue, so we can get it resolved.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Rollett...

What version drivers did you install last?

Where did you get them?

wannabe1

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Useing the 6.66 Package from Evga's website for this Mobo.. big driver package with everything it for the mobo. But appears to be Nvida Driver from 9/30/2005 ver 50.1.10

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've got the same setup on my asus board. It's running very well with driver version 6.02.00.1121 from NVIDIA.

What processor are you using?

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
AMD 4200+ 64 X2, Weird thing is it has worked great... then just randomly stopped.. no warning nothing.. Did full virus,male,gray ect scans too ..
And for a little while after it stopped working it was still showing up in IPCONFIG in Cmd

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does it show in Device Manager as Enabled? Just not starting because of driver problems? (code 10)

Try updating the drivers to THESE from NVIDIA. Version 60.24 is included in the download.

An NVIDIA Networking manual is available HERE...that may help keep us on the same page.

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sure Thats safe for me ? im not in a 64x OS im still just Win XP pro 32x

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's the same download for both versions...V9.53

You can get this one if you prefer. 32Bit Version :whistling:

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I did a Install, Of it now it says NVIDIA Nforce Networking Controller #2 insted of the old one.. that didnt have a # no more yellow !
It shows in IPconfig again... but wrong.

It just says Ethernet Adapter {C18DD5E2-B68C-4B4C-9101-D9A768F3CDBC}

Media State ........... Media Disconnected.

Still cant make a connection to it.
I dont get any error messages.. nothing.. from Other pc/Xbox360 it just says no connection is there.. so i know its not the box... or the PC, its not the cable.. tryed differnt cable.

Edited by Rollett, 11 December 2006 - 10:03 PM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
The port is blown. Does your other LAN port work?

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yeah other port works.. Why would the port be blown ?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Hardware is just defective sometimes. You replace it when it happens. As a final test -
When you connect an ethernet cable between the port that isn't working and another device, does a light come on anywhere?

The fact that the port is reading Media Disconnected means that it physically is not seeing a cable connecting it to another device. That's what usually shows a bad port.

I guess it could technically be Windows corruption not reading the hardware properly, but I'd consider that unlikely.