Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Lan Problem.. possibly Windows...

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for popping in, Kurenai...my internet went down a little after 6:30 last night. Sorry to you, Rollett...I hope you didn't feel I had abandoned you.

I'm coming to the same conclusion as Kurenai, though. Try Windows Update...do the Custom option and check for hardware updates that may be available from Microsoft. Sometims there are patches available there that aren't available on the other websites.

Advertisements

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
There is no light anymore :/

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
What steps would i go to see if its corrupt ? A Few people have sugjested this could be the case as well.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to connect your router to the "bad" connection. Is it working? If it does then your problem might be in the xbox. If it doesn't try srart > run > cmd > ping router IP (you can find the router IP in ipconfig /all)

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Already elminated the Xbox by testing it on a differnt PC and getting same result (testing the lan port connection to a differnt PC)

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ethernet adapter {01735991-7195-4FDD-A8B7-DE0570F7ECEF}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
#2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-18-A0-24-01

I get this if i do IPconfig /all (for this network port)

To add to this.. if i try to repair my current connection, It will pop up a window saying it repaired but has the cancel button and wont close... every time.

Edited by Rollett, 12 December 2006 - 04:28 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Still I would connect the router to the "faulty " port and try an ipconfig /all and ping the router. Also enter network connections > click the problematic one > properties > tcp/ip > properties. Make sure that the connection is set to get IP and DNS automatically. If that doesn't help then I would uninstall the driver in device manager and load it afresh from the motherboard driver disk. If all this doesn't help then I would conclude that the port or its controller are faulty.

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Here lays the problem ... i cant click on it the icon has vanished from it.. can reinstall the driver .. says device is working correctly.. ect.. but the icon as a whole has vanished from network connections.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
If no light is coming on when you use a known good ethernet cable to connect that port to a known good port, then the port itself is broken. That light occurs regardless of anything in Windows, to show that there is a physical connection in place.

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
K if i plug in my network cable .. i do get a light.. but no internet from it.

Advertisements

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
So if the light is showing.. what would be the next step ? Whne plugged in and light is On... i get this

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter {01735991-7195-4FDD-A8B7-DE0570F7ECEF}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.120.189
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

.. But still no connection .. and no icons of any sort in windows for that Connection. In network connections or anything.

Edited by Rollett, 13 December 2006 - 06:32 PM.

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I know im contesting you guys.. but i still think its corrupted.. just i cant find any info on how i would fix this.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The ipconfig doesn't show your gateway which is the router. Many times the gateway IP is 10.0.0.138. try to ping 10.0.0.18 and tell us what happens.

Rollett

Rollett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Anything i do with it times out. I get no connect at all with the second port.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Since you mentioned that you also lost the firewire port and it's icon I think that the next step should be a windows xp repair. How to this is described in details in this link. The truth is that I don't like this repair at all since quite often you end up with more problems than you started with.

If you repair xp you will have to download and reinstall all windows updates and possibly some hardware drivers.

Before starting please uninstall or at leasy disable antivirus and other antimalware programs which run in the background.