Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fix/ clean ball of mouse

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
This is a normal mouse with a ball. The wheels still turn very good, so that the cursor moves smoothly as well when turning the wheels.

I can move the mouse smoothly, but not when moving the mouse to certain directions, then the cursor keeps hanging.
I already cleaned the ball and wheels in the mouse.

When I try to make the ball make contact with the wheels of the mouse, the wheels keep hanging in certain directions. So probably the ball is not properly making contact with the wheels. Maybe, the ball needs to be cleaned.

I already tried cleaning the ball using water. How do I fix or clean the ball properly, so I can make the mouse work smoothly?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can find replacement mouse balls at most computer supply places for REALLY cheap usually...you can also get some pretty cheap optical mice these days...

to test whether it's the ball or the wheels...take the ball out and move the rollers with your finger...see if the roller hangs anywhere along the path...do this with both the vertical and horrizontal rollers

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, it is not the ball in water that needs to be cleaned, it is the three wheels that get a little black ring on them, take out the ball and use you fingernail to rub off any muck that has built up on the surface of the rings inside the caverty where the ball goes,
hope this helps

Edited by fleamailman, 11 December 2006 - 06:57 PM.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
All the wheels have allready been cleaned. When I move the wheels without using the ball, they all move smoothly to all directions.

So probably the ball needs to get cleaned properly, I already tried water and soap but it didn't help. Any way to clean the ball properly?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a question....do you have some great attachment to this mouse? was it handed down generation to generation..."my pappy's pappy gave it to my pappy and i'll give it to my son when i die" kind of thing? mice are pretty cheap these days (there's one on TigerDirect for $5 and i'm sure you could find cheaper)....it may be easier to just replace the thing?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
put my mind at rest, you mean the surface of the wheels have been cleaned of the grim buildup on them, another point sometimes the wheels go slightly out of sinq so give them a slight pull with tweazers to be sure

though to be honest, if this doesn't work then I suggest trying another mouse to see if it really is the mouse and not the system, and then using the mouse on another computer to see if it is really the mouse and if it really is the mouse then dsenette is right and the mouse has had its day

Edited by fleamailman, 12 December 2006 - 12:47 PM.