Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer only runs the internet

• Please log in to reply

smrhem

smrhem

• Pip
  • 3 posts
One day about 6 months ago I was using my computer and it just powered off. When I cut it back on none of the programs would work directly, I had to open a saved file to use the program. For example, instead of clicking on Word to use it I have to go to my documents and then click a file that I saved in word and then the program would come up. But at this point none of the programs on my computer work besides Internet Explorer. Now, when i use internet explorer i cannot download anything, and i cannot open any pages that have anything to do with java. Certain pages, for instance, the geeks to go home page, has to be refreshed before I can use it. Whenever I go into my computer it brings up this sort of file explorer instead of the traditional page, and I cannot get into control panel. I can still save files that I have downloaded but I cannot download anything else. Whenever I double click anything it creates a shortcut. Before it did this my computer moved really slow and took about 2 to 3 minutes just to start up. I think I have given all of the problems I have with it, can anyone think of what may be wrong with it?

Advertisements

Armic

Armic

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi,
Sounds like a file association prob with your .exe files.
The easiest way round this, if you are using xp, is to download the exe file association fix from this site: http://www.dougknox..../xp_exe_fix.zip
You will probably have to use another pc to download this.
Unzip the file, then run xp_exe_fix.

Post back the results

Armic

Edited by Armic, 12 December 2006 - 06:15 AM.

smrhem

smrhem

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, thanks for the advise. Only problem is that none of my file extentions are working reg, exe, etc. so how can i open it with them not working?

Armic

Armic

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi

Try running this in safe mode. Hold down the f8 key as your pc boots, & choose safe mode.

If it doesnt, see if you can open a windows explorer window whilst in safe mode.

Post back the results.

Armic

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried system restore yet...go back at least a week before the problem started...

smrhem

smrhem

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
We tried it with safe mode and got the same results. Little too late for the system restore because Its been 6 months, but my bf ended up clearing everything and just reformating it with the recovery CD... sucks but it was the last option.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are these problems now...after the reformat and clean install...or back before..

Armic

Armic

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Sounds like the probs were before.
I've only ever fixed this prob once & System restore doesnt cure it. It either wont start (.exe) or hangs part way through.

There are another couple of ways to sort this prob, but the pc should be ok now after the re-install.

Armic