Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SigmaTel Sound Card Problem

• Please log in to reply

nforcer06164

nforcer06164

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, it's not so much a problem, but an annoyance. I want to record streaming audio from my sound card, but I only have the options of "Line In" and "Microphone". I've been through my audio options, and these are the only two options available. I've also searched all over the net, with no solution. I know the sound card is made by SigmaTel, and I also use Creative SoundBlaster Audigy HD 5. Anybody know what I can do to add or enable a "wave out mix" or similar option, or is my sound card incompatible with such a function? Thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT: I do realize I may have put this in the wrong forum. If so, I'd greatly appreciate if a mod or admin put it in the right place. Thanks.

Edited by nforcer06164, 11 December 2006 - 11:08 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Soundblaster should have a what u hear option, is it set as the default device

Click start, control panel, sounds and speech, sounds and audio, click the audio tab

nforcer06164

nforcer06164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I found the "problem", but it lies with Dell and the integrated drivers that comes with the SigmaTel card. It seems to be a common issue, and I'll look for the solution myself unless anybody else has suggestions. Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is there a reason for using the sigmatel in favour of the audigy card?

nforcer06164

nforcer06164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The SigmaTel is the card that came with the system, a Dell Inspiron E1505. I opted to upgrade to the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy HD 5, but I did not realize that it was the software edition, and not an actual card. I would much rather have a Audigy card than a SigmaTel card. I've worked with an SoundBlaster Audigy 2 for over five years and I'm so used to it, that two-option recording came as a shock to me when I thought I had an Audigy card.

Edited by nforcer06164, 13 December 2006 - 09:24 AM.

Guidonero

Guidonero

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling: I'm having the exact same problem and have had similar lack of success in finding any info on the web related to the missing "CD Audio" and "Stereo Mixer". The only selections available on the Volume Control / Recording Properties are "Line In" "External Mic" "Internal Mic".
Dell Tech Support says it's not suppose to be there; SigmaTel refuses to reply to end user due to "licensing" issues.
(System: WinXP Pro SP2/DellLatitude D620/SigmaTel Audio)

Has anyone found a resolution to this?

Thanks for any leads.

nforcer06164

nforcer06164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Actually, I found a solution. Total Recorder Professional is supposed to add its own drivers that support a "Stereo Mix" option. I haven't actually tried using the program, but I did install it; it does add drivers and doesn't overwrite old ones.

justincase007

justincase007

• Pip
  • 6 posts
here is the solution.. it works for me..and it is freeeeee!!!

http://www.ekhoury.c...port-for-dells/

Probably, it works on only some DELL laptops... I would recommend reading the comments posted on the link first.

Edited by justincase007, 26 December 2006 - 11:44 AM.

teddyc

teddyc

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

here is the solution.. it works for me..and it is freeeeee!!!

http://www.ekhoury.c...port-for-dells/

me being totally thick when it comes to computers do you have to down load the files shown

justincase007

justincase007

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes.. follow the instructions given on the link I have posted. After the search, you will see three results. Of the three, download the 95Mb file. I am not sure 5Mb option works or not. I downloaded 95Mb file, unzipped it and then run the setup.exe file.. and then it works. :whistling:

Good Luck!

Advertisements

nforcer06164

nforcer06164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
See, the only think about that file is, I'm skeptical about losing the stereo capabilities of my mic as described. I use my mic almost as often as the "stereo mix" option. Also, I lose the HD capabilities of the original drivers, don't I?

justincase007

justincase007

• Pip
  • 6 posts
After the installation of the new driver, i have three options

1) Stereo Mix
2) CD Audio
3) Microphone

The line-in option disappears but from the comments from the blog (the link I gave), someone says, Microphone option works as line-in when connected to guitar or something

QuikAns

QuikAns

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well Better Yet...

Instead of spending painful hours on the internet trying to solve this problem, or, purchasing another sound card, simply carry out the following: -

1) Go down to your local electronics shop and purchase a jack splitter (two jack inputs into one jack) and a jack to jack lead

2) Then plug in one end of the jack lead into one socket of the splitter.
Take out the jack that goes to the speakers and plug that into the other socket of the splitter. Now plug this splitter into the "speaker" output of your sound card.

3) Plug the other end of the jack lead into the "line in" socket or "microphone" socket on your sound card.

SORTED - You now have the ablilty to record "what u hear" (using either "line in" or "microphone" depending on what you pluged the other end of the lead into. :whistling:

teddyc

teddyc

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Well Better Yet...

Instead of spending painful hours on the internet trying to solve this problem, or, purchasing another sound card, simply carry out the following: -

1) Go down to your local electronics shop and purchase a jack splitter (two jack inputs into one jack) and a jack to jack lead

2) Then plug in one end of the jack lead into one socket of the splitter.
Take out the jack that goes to the speakers and plug that into the other socket of the splitter. Now plug this splitter into the "speaker" output of your sound card.

3) Plug the other end of the jack lead into the "line in" socket or "microphone" socket on your sound card.

SORTED - You now have the ablilty to record "what u hear" (using either "line in" or "microphone" depending on what you pluged the other end of the lead into. :whistling:

Thanks for that but 2 days ago i bought Total Record :blink: never mind the £ $ exchange is pretty good at the moment

EagleTG

EagleTG

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had some trouble with the methods posted here on my Latitude D620... Specifically that the headphone port on the dock wouldn't cut the internal speakers on the laptop.

Using the information and files obtained over at the NotebookForum.com site, I took a look at the INI files, and decided to try my own hack. It seems to work, and has the added benefit of exposing the entire SigmaTel control panel.

It's a little complicated to install (you need to replace an INI file)... No warranties on this one, but you can snag the files at my site:
http://www.togeo.com...wordpress/?p=38