Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nexxtech DVDR/W issue

• Please log in to reply

sp0rk3d

sp0rk3d

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just installed one of the Nexxtech DVD/CD combo burners and the only issue I am having is that I can't boot from CD's. I've checked the BIOS of my system and it is tagged to boot prior to my HD. It is the primary drive and I've tried placing the jumper at both cable and master positions to no avail. I am using Alcohol 120% to burn the disks SAO/DAO write method. I've tried Memorex CD-RW disks and Sony CD-R disks also to no avail.

The boot program I'm trying to run is MemTest386 as I've recently upgraded my RAM and would like to determine if one of the chips is faulty or if it's my MOBO (hanging 10 or more seconds at the BIOS screen with no activity.)

I will try using another disk prepared with Ubuntu Live to see if that's recognizable to determine if it's solely Memtest which will not boot. Result: Did not want to boot using another bootable CD, which tells me it's the actual device.

Let me know any questions I need to answer or any actions I need to do to determine the cause of this quirkiness. Thanks in advance.

Edited by sp0rk3d, 11 December 2006 - 11:23 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If it's a primary drive (which means it's connected to the same ide cable as the primary hard drive) then it can only be configured as 'primary slave' (not master, that's the hard drive). Therefore it's jumper should be at the slave position.

The 'CSL' jumper position will only work if the ide cable is of the 80-wire type, not the standard 40-wire type.

sp0rk3d

sp0rk3d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your advice pip, kudos.

Yes the bus is 40 wire variety, the only reason I put it on cable jumper was because that is what the previous device was set at. I will have a look inside the box and change the jumper to slave if the bus is indeed connected to the HD - or I'll set it back to master if connected to the MOBO (correct me if I'm wrong.)

Results in a few minutes. =)