Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP fail to load

• Please log in to reply

ChrisInLA

ChrisInLA

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi - I'm having a problem getting anywhere past my BIOS. It loads fine, shows all drives and components, but when the computer goes to load Windows (XP, SP2) it ends up on a blank screen. If I F8, I go to the Windows Advanced Options screen, and select any option, then I'm taken to a Select Operating System screen. Here I have two options: hit F8 and go back to the Advanced screen, or hit anything else (including the instructed Enter) and lock up completely.

BIOS shows CPU running 48C/118F, System 35C/95F.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Chris

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi ChrisinLA and welcome,

It sounds like you may have a corrupt boot sector. Do you have a full insatall disk for XP sp2?

If you do or have access to one you can boot the install disk and at the choice menu press R to enter repair console. Once you log in as administrator type in FIXBOOT and press Enter. You will be prompted to be sure you want to do this, enter Y and press Enter. Type EXIT and remove the cd and see if the PC will boot.

ChrisInLA

ChrisInLA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, Silverbeard. I finally got it to boot, although I'm not sure what did it. I removed the heatsink and fan and re-applied thermal paste. Removed and reseated the memory, but that's about it. I''m assuming there's something intermittent causing the problem, because I can't see how what I did had that affect. Can it still be the boot sector? And on that chance, can I apply FIXBOOT even if the boot sector is alright - I assume it won't do any damage to a healthy sector?

If I ever find the source of the problem, I'll post it so it can go into the general knowledge pool. Until then, thanks for your prompt response.

Chris

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Sometimes things we think won't help are the fix we are looking for. If you change hardware configuration on occastion, as I do, something may not get seated right and the normal vibration from a fan can cause the strangest and hardest to diagnose issues. Good job hunting it down.

can I apply FIXBOOT even if the boot sector is alright - I assume it won't do any damage to a healthy sector?

Yes, in normal situations it's a safe move. A multi-boot system is another story.

Edited by silverbeard, 13 December 2006 - 12:06 PM.