Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Problems

• Please log in to reply

?????

?????

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
hi everytime i try to either log onto to remove programmes from control panel it comes up that i cant do it same with the internet the message comes up saying ... Windows cannot specify device, file or path. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

my computer was working untill i installed something ithink but i cant delete it because its not letting me remove the files so what can i do becuase i cant reboot my computer either becuase of what evers stoping my internet connections i cant do nothing thats must relate to internet ?

I Can Only do somethings on msn internet explorer thats all but its stil a hassle

i cant even go on msn, restore my computer, go to add/remove programmes or go on normal internet so can someone please help quickly if possible! thanks

Edited by ?????, 12 December 2006 - 12:42 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Please provide the exact error messages for the the Add/Remove Programs error and the Internet Explorer error.

What antivirus program are you running? Is it updated and have you run a full scan recently?

Was the program you installed (that might have caused this problem) a download from the internet or on CD?

?????

?????

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
okay thanks!

it was from the internet i normally install it but i made some changes to it through the settings thats all.

i was running AVG but it doesnt let me do anything with my internet i cant even run programmes that use internet

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Okay. Is your AVG up-to-date and when was the last time you ran a full scan?

Also, we need the exact error messages you're getting, so we can try to help you resolve the issues.

?????

?????

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
well i had rebooted my computer and then thats when i was installing it all back on and it mucked up..

Windows cannot specify device, file or path. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

thats the full message that it gives me when i try to open anything internet related.

so i cant open my AVG as its internet related

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Let's try System File Checker.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

?????

?????

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
so am a typing in cmd and tehn when the black window comes up i right that sfc / scannow?

sorry im takign so long my computers crashing

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, type in sfc /scannow in the black windows that comes up. It will take a little time to run. Be sure to have your Windows CD in the CD drive.

?????

?????

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
ive done it it has come up with alot of riting it never took a while though ...

it has bits saying /scannow
/scanonce

etc.... so will i do /scannow?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Type in SFC /scannow. Let it run until finished.

Then reboot your computer and try to get into Add/Remove Programs and Internet Explorer, to confirm whether the error is solved.

?????

?????

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
thanks ... does it come up windws file protection yeah?

?????

?????

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
its still not working computers just the exact same .. it always has something coming up saying caxzaxzcq.exe for my zone alarm thing to allow or deny that only started coming up today when my computer has broke

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I think it's time to post in the Malware forum, so they can check out your computer for infection.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.