Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Extremely slow computer

• Please log in to reply

cvrband

cvrband

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Over the past 4 weeks my computer has been running extremely slow (seems like my hard drive is running constantly). I've run several spy-ware programs (Ad-aware SE, Spybot search and destroy and Spyware Blaster) and they haven't found anything unusual. I also downloaded CCleaner (a registry cleaner) and it found some items/problems in my registry so I let the program fix them - still no help. I also ran anti-virus (Trend Micro's Internet Security and HouseCall) which found nothing. I also defragmented and ran error check and disk cleanup on my "C" drive. I can't think of anything else to do to get my computer back up to speed.

I posted this information in the Malware Removal Forum and they helped me clean my hard drive, registry, etc. This did not fix my problem so the person helping me suggested I post here. Here is a link to the Malware forum thread:

http://www.geekstogo...s...=140413&hl=

I'm running the following:
Windows XP (latest update)
AMD Athlon Processor
IE7

Could this be some sort of power issue? All this started happening when my old battery backup reported "faulty wiring" in my house after overloading the circuit which tripped the circuit breaker. I found the problem in a switch box where a ground wire had become disconnected and I fixed the wiring. I even went as far as purchasing a new APC 650V battery backup (before fixing the wiring, it also reported the faulty wiring which led me to believe the original backup was working fine - I opted to keep the 650V UPS). Could all this have fried my computer somehow? - this confuses me. After cleaning the malware etc. my computer's hard drive still runs constantly.

Thanks for the help,
John

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Is the computer working ok since you fixed your house wiring probem? Is normal for the hard drive to spin constantly. It is always spinning from the time you power up until you shut it down.

cvrband

cvrband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
It seems to be working better. I think the problem was Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 - I uninstalled it and reinstalled 2006 and everything seems to be working better.

To clarify my previous post - the light on the front of the computer was on almost constantly (which indicated to me it was processing and using a lot of memory)