Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tapping on touchpad not WORKING!

• Please log in to reply

Robleh

Robleh

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, I'm using an Acer Travelmate 2420 laptop, and this morning, when I turned on my computer, the tapping to click option was not working! I can still scroll down and up using the touchpad and move the mouse around but to click, i have to use the buttons which is really annoying!!! Now, i think it's a synaptics device and went and tried to change the options anyway i could but nothing would differ, i also made sure that the "tap to click" option is on but still nothing... Please i need help because i'm using my computer to study so i can't afford to get slowed down!!!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is your laptop under warranty? If so, your best bet would be to contact Acer technical.

Check the driver date for the touchpad. Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager. Open "Mice and Other Pointing Devices". Highlight the Synaptics Touchpad, right-click and choose Properties, Driver tab. There should be information regarding the driver that the computer is using for the touchpad. The driver listed on Acer's site is Synaptics TouchPad Driver v7.13.2 04Feb05 . If your driver is prior to Feb 2005, this might help. Here's the link (for the United States):
http://www.acerpanam...r...ad&areaid=7

What antivirus and antispyware software do you have installed? Are they updated and do you scan regularly?